Complete VP novice

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mad_matt, Aug 23, 2006.

1. mad_matt

mad_matt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Hi

Been reading this forum for ages now and its clear there are some very knowledgable people on here. So I apologise for this basic question....

Do all HD Plasmas benefit from having their video source put through a VP first? And do all plasmas need the ISF calibration or does this only really effect top range models?

Cheers

Matt

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,095
    Matt: If you don't ask questions you never learn. No questions are stupid, only answers.

Whether a plasma will benefit from a video processor depends on plasma and processor in question. For the sake of simplicity we can safely assume that the use of the major scalers discussed here regularily will increase image quality on all the plasma displays discussed regularily here.

On isf FRONT. We have standards written down for how displays devices should perform in order to show video standards correctly. I have yet to find a display that matches those criteria straight out of the box. Most manufacturers go about intentionally skewing the settings for "effect". The manufacturers of the DVD's and the best broadcasters however expect the displays to operate to the standards and they make their material to look correct when everything is working to these standards. So in that respect all displays will benefit from proper calibration. However not all display manufacturers allow access to the controls required to get the things back in line......some off board video processors can be used to counter this lack of calibration anyway though.

Hope this is of use.

Gordon

3. mad_matt

mad_matt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Hi Gordon

Thanks for the info, I went for a budget plasma in the LG42PC1D, and have now started to look at upgrading the other components like the A/V amp, DVD etc.

Do you know whether this model plasma is accessible to calibrate and what make/model VP would improve picture quality from a DVD player or Sky+ (soon to be HD) box?

Matt

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,095
    I have not worked on an LG plasma so can't comment on performance or whether it is calibration ready. If you have a link to an instruction manual online I can perhaps find out and offer more advice

G

5. mad_matt

mad_matt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Hi

I just noticed your location, you are about 10 miles down the road from me, so I will get the plasma set up and see about getting you in to do the calibration, if its possible. Will hunt for an online manual now.

Matt