1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Complete system for around £1500?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Brox, Dec 26, 2003.

1. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My uncle has been looking at Bose, I managed to talk to him before he bought a £2000 system suggesting it would be wise to demo some more kit first.

Looking for a sub sat system, av receiver and DVD player for around £1500 that performs equally well in stereo as av.

What receivers are good in stereo these days, my shortlist would be HK, NAD, Marantz probably not Yamaha or Sony

Would have gone for Arcam but it's probably a bit too expensive.

Also if he wanted a better sub does that mean he would have to get more conventional speakers to avoid a 'hole in the middle frequencys'

Would be interested to hear from people whose really appreciate decent stereo playback.

2. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone tell me what the B & W VM1 speaker package is like in stereo and AV?

Also is the sub any good and can it be upgraded?

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Hmm Lifestyle 18 was it? not bad to be honest, yes you can get a package for that sort of money (dont discount yamaha) but like you say he needs to demo some kit one setup to look at is HK AVR4550, DVD25/30 and Infinity Orues. Or MK2 KEF eggs as well as the B&W's
    For stereo full range speakers will be better than sats! Canton CD2.22 package is worth a demo a looks fantastic! www.canton.de £1000 but superb system!partnered with some thing like this http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/1682 would be very nice.
    What display does he have? and what else will be connected?

4. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the Gallo balls. Works OK for stereo, and no 'holes' that I can detect. Affection for aged standmount speakers (Celestion Ditton 15s, circa 1976) and listening position (around fire) mean that I dont use them (the balls) much for other than AV, though music happens there also - from TV/cable & dvd source.

Gallo balls look nice too.

5. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you upgrade the sub with the B&W speaker package? what is the upgraded sub like?