1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Complete system advice for clueless newbie!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by neenaw, Nov 12, 2004.

1. neenaw

neenaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    First of all....

WOW! this place rocks! :thumbsup:

Secondly, I'm looking to buy my first hi fi separates system with a budget of around £500-£600 but could *maybe* go a wee bit higher if I was persuaded it would be worth it.

What I'm looking for is sound quality (isn't everyone?). I'm not interested in having 'the best' but perhaps 'the best for your money' if that makes sense. It's ony gonna be for my living room which is generally smallish so am I right in thinking there's no point in getting a mega-powerful system cos I won't be able to make the most out of it, right?

Also, how much should I spend on each separate? If my budget is £600 should it be about £200 each for speakers, amplifier & cd player? Or is one more important/expensive than the others? I really have no clue (but am loving learning :D )

As for music, I'd be playing mostly rock music - all kinds from mellow pop/indie stuff to punk to a little metal.

Ummm, what else? Oh yeah, I've been looking at these:

NAD C521BEE cd player
    with
    NAD C320BEE amplifier

Or

Cambridge Audio Azur 540C cd player
    with
    Cambridge Audio Azur 540A amplifier

any opinions on those?

As for speakers I have no idea. I don't even know whether to go for those floorstanding ones or the ones you put on a stand (lol the proper names fail me right now) standmounted or something. Are one kind better than the other? I've read that the tall floor type ones can be a bit too bassy. True?

Oh, one last question. Is it possible to plug your telly into your hi-fi speakers? If so, what connection(s) do I need on the telly (and speakers? amp? whatever?)? I'm getting a new tv too you see :D

Thank you!!

2. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Neenaw,
    Welcome to the forums,
    Everyone has different opinions on this but this is how I see it. The most important thing is the CD player (Source) without a good source you won't get the benefit from the rest of your equipment. The amp and speakers can only work with what they are fed.
    I think your budgeting is about right possibly tending towards slightly more on the CD. Buying second hand/ex Demo would get you a great deal more for your money, in fact it would get you a very nice system. You'll also need to budget a bit for interconnect cables between the CD player and Amp. I would suggest you look to someone like Mark Grant on this forum for these. You will also need some speaker cable. You can buy this ready made or cheque out the Cables forum for DIY projects. IMHO better than the purchased variety.
    As for speakers, If you have a large room then you can look to Floorstanders, for a smaller room, bookshelf/standmount speakers would be better. For your budget I would suggest you go with standmounts, the reason for this is you will get a better quality speaker.
    Two systems I could certainly recommend are the Rega Planet CD and Mira Amp combined with Monitor Audio Silver s1 speakers. (Second hand)
    Or Exposure 2010 CD/AMP and Quad 11l speakers again second hand.
    Both should come in at round about the £500 - £550 price range and will outclass anything you can buy new.
    Doubtless many people will recommend many more combinations. My advice to you is to take it all in and go and listen to as many combinations as you can in some Hi Fi shops. You'll be very surprised how different the systems sound.
    You can plug your tv into the amplifier via an interconnect cable and the L/R Line outs on your TV.
    Good Luck.