1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Complete Plasma System Opinions

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by McBain, Jul 30, 2003.

1. McBain

McBain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm looking into getting into more debt with a system like the following:

Panasonic series 6 42" plasma
    Wall mount (with tilt I expect)
    Pioneer 912 Amp
    Kef Eggs KHT Mk2 (Sub/sat + 1 more egg for 6.1) OR
    JM Labs CUB/SIB (If I can source another single SIB for 6.1)
    Flat cabling
    SKY+
    Panasonic S75 DVD (or maybe a PAL prog like the SONY 930)

Gamecube (owned)
    PS2 (owned)

I guess I'll also need to work out how to connect it all up which will probably involve some RGB->YUV converters/switch boxes
    (any advice on this would be really helpful - I'll have RGB sources from SKY, GC, PS2 and component from the DVD player)

Dont think I can stretch to an iScan Ultra (I've read the Pan 6 has pretty good processing anyway..?)

Any potential issues with this setup? Any alternatives recommended?

I'd love to source the whole lot from a single supplier (not SKY, obviously) but I cant find one that does everything I want. KEFs are a pain in the arse because you cant get them mail order, but I may be able to get a creative audio price match locally).

My main concerns are connectivity and terminal boards for the plasma if anyone can give me advice on that.

I'm looking to get a low cost loan to sort this out but I guess my budget is around 4-5 grand (yikes!).

Cheers,

Sam R
    Winchester UK

P.S. If I go ahead, I can contribute to the GYPOFTL thread I've been drooling over - thats the bloody reason I want all this stuff. Bastards. ;)

2. GAmbrose

GAmbrose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Quite similar to mine actually

Panasonic series 6 42" plasma
    Pioneer 859 Amp
    Kef Eggs Sub and Sats
    Flat cables
    Pioneer 656a
    Sky Digital
    Gamecube (NTSC)
    X-box (NTSC)
    PS2 (Pal)

The eventual plan is:

Gamecube to YUV switching input 1 on Amp
    X-box to YUV switching input 2 on Amp
    Amp YUV out to VGA in on the Plasma

PS2 RGB passthrough -> Sky Digital -> Pioneer DVD player
    DVD Player RGB out to JS Tech RGBtoYUV convertor
    JS Tech RGBtoYUV Convertor -> Component terminal board

Gary A

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Your budget is the major inhibiting facor with that lot, you need to shave some money off somewhere. The kef's should work ok for you unless your room is large, you might be able to get away with a lesser amp, and budget for a pronto or you are living in remote hell. That's £500 programmed, unless you can do it yourself, but it's not as simple as it looks. You'll be needing some other bits and pieces too, from JS etc. and some cables, put some more thought into it, don't spoil the ship for a hap'orth of tar and all that, you have the workings of a killer system. You'll find someone to do all of that kit, whereabouts are you in the country?

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,591
    McBain

Who said you cant find a dealer that can supply your kit list!

You dont have to look too far to find at least two dealers that can - and do.

Best regards

Joe

5. McBain

McBain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the replies:

GAmbrose:

I'll have to take a look at the video switching on the 912 - see what options that gives me.

I don't think I can do Gamecube -> YUV as I have the standard UK PAL cube, which I believe doesn't suport this?

Thanks for reminding me about RGB chaining - however, is there any signal degredation chaining things through SKY/DVD player?

MAW:

Ok, maybe 4-5 grand is more like 5 grand, but looking around, I thought this was possible:

Plasma £3065 www.av-sales.com
    www.tmfsolutions.co.uk

Mount £200
    Pioneer 912 £400 www.avland.co.uk
    Panny S75 £135 www.avland.co.uk
    KEF Eggs £650+£79 price match on
    www.creative-audio.co.uk

Leaving £500 for cables/terminal boards/switches

I realise I'd be in remote hell - I'm fed up with the 4 I have now! A Pronto et al whould have to wait though. As my sig mentions, I'm in Winchester, Hampshire.

Joe:

Are you implying that tmfsolutions could source this lot? I've looked around and can't find a second - who are you suggesting?

Sam R
    Winchester UK

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Hi, sorry to be so dumb about your sig.!! I think av sales are the others Joe refers to. They are Tunbridge wells I think. Not that near you but hey it's a lot of money and worth some hassle to get right. As I said I think your amp may be over spec and your DVD is certainly way under... I haven't got a spec on that amp, personally I'd be looking at the Yamaha RVX640, it has YUV switching x 2, + a zillion s-vid switches, but that's purely personal. I've no doubt the pio. is a fine piece of kit. £500 is slim for terminal boards, JS converter x at least 1, possibly 2, and some good cables. To get the thing working smoothly I'd steer clear of scart switching, it may be cheap but it can be confusing, and an upgrade later for convenience is unlikely! Get a progressive YUV DVD, js YUV for sky and switch it with your amp, and 1/2 your remote hassle is gone, so cheap at the price!

7. Montana

Montana
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mcbain,
    Yes indeed Joe IS implying that he can do everything that you have mentioned.TMF Solutions (which I see you have already looked at their website) website lists everything you need, but to make sure, give him a ring.I have done this myself just to clarify certain issues that I thought I might have.His knowledge on all things AV is fantastic.Joe and a few other people here run their own av business and contribute a lot to this forum and the av community, and I thank people like this for all their help.
    Anyway I hope this helps Mcbain, and let us know how you get on.

Andy

8. McBain

McBain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    MAW: Checked it out and the 912 doesn't seem to have any component video switching. I really fancied the MCACC setup thing though - oh well - have to rethink that one.

Why do you think the amp is over spec? Its more or less the same spec (and price) as the 640 you recommend as an alternative..

As for the dvd player - the S75 is specced pretty well - DVD-A, NTSC prog etc. However, I'm now considering the Yam 540 shown here:
    http://www.avland.co.uk/yamaha/dvds540/index.htm

Has Pal prog too. Need to find some opinions on the picture though.

Montana: I definitely checked out tmfsolutions and av-sales - I read these forums all the time and know of their rep. However, I couldn't and still can't find all of the kit I mentioned on their sites.

I'm going to have to think carefully about some of my choices - the sub/sat thing is annoying what with KEF not allowing mail oredering of the eggs. Creative Audio will ship the cub/sib package but its only 5.1 not 6.1. Ugh - decisions decisions.

Thanks for the advice,

Sam R
    Winchester UK

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Give joe and Liam a ring, you'll find them accomodating I'm sure. Doesn't the Pio have more power than the yam? I must admit I'm on memory and assumtion there! Other things being equal the YUV switching would win it for me. Certainly without a pronto anyway. You could use s-video from the GC and PS2 as you'll be out of YUV inputs even with the Yamaha, and that'd save a chunk of money too. S-vid adapter for PS2 is £10! You'll have plenty of digital inputs, you need at least 3, 2 will be optical, so that's something else to budget for in cables. Are you doing the whole install yourself?

10. McBain

McBain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    MAW: Thats the plan - just bought a house and we're completely redecorating - thought it might be a good time to get some cables laid etc - led onto "sod it" and hence the whole system. The room has one of the stupid bricked up fireplace-type "sticky-outty-bits" right where the TV (picture frame tosh) needs to go - will stick out right into the middle of the room- hence the plasma.

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Right, that means plasma above mantelpiece presumably. Bit high if so, but can't be helped, unless someone has helpfully removed the whole fireplace. If you are cabling, I'd bury a YUV, S-video and VGA in the wall, then you are covered. I saw a neat install done in a situation like that where they'd re-opened the fireplace, put in some shelves for the gear and run the cables up the chimney! His favourite movie was Backdraft, apparently. He had expensive built in units in the alcoves, so made a virtue of necessity. Good luck with the sourcing, the hard bit is usually deciding on the plasma, at least that's easy.

12. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    McBain,

Regarding amps.

Pioneer 912 - £385 from www.qed-uk.com
    Pioneer 812 - £311 from www.qed-uk.com
    912 gets auto MCACC, 1 more optical input and a aluminium flap in the front.

A extreme good receiver - very dynamic, clear, strong and powerful and it looks very silvery/metal indeed (looks expensive, but with no component inputs which limits the receiver as an central point.

Yamaha 640 (receiver version) - £351 from www.unbeatable.co.uk
    Yamaha 640 (amp version) - £302.5 from www.qed-uk.com

The Yammy is equally good but it has a more warm, natural yet still powerful sound with plenty enough to drive you KEF/JML (Yamaha usually understates their watts). It also has 2 component inputs (proof see http://www.yamaha-online.de/product...ng=e&idcat3=2&idprod=1068&archivset=&newsset= ), lots of connections + its famous DSP programs and the Yammy really uses hi quality parts and components and the exterior feel is much better than the famous 630.

But have you also give a thought of getting Denon 1803

£207 from www.empiredirect.co.uk (some ppl say cs and website sometimes a bit dodgy) or £219 from www.discounttv.co.uk?

It is one generation older than the Pio and Yammy, but it costs much less. It has 2 component inputs and 7.1 input and pre-outs, and with this low price it gives you a superb value/pound ratio if Gold is an option.

All 3 should drive your speaker choice well.

With the money saved on the receiver/amp, you could go for a Momitsu V880 from www.hivizone.com for probably around £230 including delivery, VAT and custom's fee. It has a DVI output and if you were considering to get a DVI board for the Panny (although I have no idea of the cost, so it could be an expensive option), then your picture level will rise quite a bit (see threads in the dvd player section).

If you don't want to use the money you have saved by opting (hopefully) one of the choices above and are happy with pursuing component route, the Yammy 540 dvd player is definetily lowering the Pal prog scan price level substantially in the big brand offering (I mean the big Japanese ones), but as you say we will have to wait for the picture performance, however, Yammy has always a very good picture performance from its dvd players.

Well I hope I have saved you some pennies.

Wasabi

13. briandzo

briandzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.edge-sv.co.uk/

these people will mail Kef's.
    they get round the kef mail order thing by using there own staff or somethink like that.

good prices too......

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Some sound advice and good links, but do a search for the shops on the forums before giving them your details, remember that with Joe and Liam, you can be certain your secrets are safe!!! And, you will get your goods when they tell you.

15. McBain

McBain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Wasabi: Loads of advice - cheers. I'd considered the Denon 1803 - does most of the stuff I would want (that damn MCAAC on the Pio is so tempting though for easy calibration). I thought I'd read something about the 1803 and lack of preouts but maybe that was the 1802? (so many numbers!).

The momitsu looks interesting, but from what I have read, people are still figuring out DVI connections. There's also a post about the Panny 6 and DVI which has got to the point of waiting on some testing from Joe I believe - might be worth waiting for the verdict there. Plus I'd have to import it which might be trouble.

And yes - the Yamaha is looking more and more tempting. If anyone has seen one in action, care to share your thoughts?

briandzo: Site looks good - cheers. Did you get yours from there? What are the KEFS like as a 6.1 setup? I notice you're driving them with the 3803 - I'd love one myself (video up-sampling/switching, all the goodies etc.) but was told it might be a bit OTT for driving the eggs...?

Maw: Sound advice - I always do a search on any companies I might order from - these forums are ace for that as is the uk.comp.vendors usenet group (ok its computer stuff, but its good for horror stories on Ebuyer etc.). I'd love to deal with Joe or Liam, but my budget is tight (their plasma prices are outstanding, but I seem to able to source the amp/speaker/dvd cheaper elsewhere) and they're extemely busy people!

Thanks for all the replies.

Sam R

Winchester UK

16. briandzo

briandzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sam R

yes i did get my my eggs from 'the edge' . very nice people.
    i can recomend them for service and customer support.

i am very pleased with my setup listed below. (although im upgding to denon 2900 tomorrow for SACD).

the sound is just awsome for both music and movies.

Although this was my first project so i dont having nothing to compare too.

i just know it sounds great. & the pioneer plasy works a dream.

i would hold off on the iscan ultra. im not 100% convinced about this upgd. it has problems with frame juddering when deinterlacing sky TV programs. Films on sky are fine but video material isnt. After a few months of use im getting annoyed with it. im looking forward to the release of an upgd card to the pioneer. this may do a better job.

6.1 setup is great. there just isnt that much material out there.
    i found the DTS neo option on the amp a NO GO option. surround using this method is poor. therefore if the dvd is 5.1 then leave it at that. dont try and make the amp generate a 6 channel.

17. McBain

McBain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    briandzo: Are the KEFs you have the mk1 or mk2 versions? I noticed on the edge site that they do a package of the old mk1 eggs with the new subwoofer. Any idead what the new eggs sound like sompared to the old?

I'm getting sorely tempted by the 3803 for future proofing and plasma related video features - video up-sampling, audio delay etc. Dont want to get a 1803 just to find I need an audio delay to match up what I'm seeing and hearing..

Thanks

Sam R
    Winchester UK

18. briandzo

briandzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the original eggs with the mk2 sub (sub sold now is mk3)

the new eggs have a wider frequency range.
    Frequency range 80 Hz - 27 kHz