1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Complete novice who needs help!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by golf guru, Jan 31, 2005.

1. golf guru

golf guru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have some idea of what I want, but no idea what systems I need. If anyone out there can help I would be most greatful.

Basically I am having my house reconstructed and at the same time I thought it would be great to have a sound system with all the works installed at the same time while walls are being replastered. I want to be able to listen to different music in different rooms and would like this to run from a hard drive system with key pads in each room

The questions I would like answered would be what hard drive system ?
    what speaker system i.e make and also do I go for wall mounted speakers of ceiling speakers ?
    what make of plasma?

I am also going to have sky + installed so do I actually need a recordable DVD player?

And last question can anybody recommend any firms in the Essex area that would be able to do this ?

A few questions for you ...!!! hope you can help . Ta

P.s Have I missed anything?!!

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    You should try the Home Automation Forum. They'll be able to get you going.
    On the Sky+ question. Sky+ will record TV for your own viewing and is a brilliant system. There are two versions available. One with the standard 40gb disk and one with the 160gb disk. Drawbacks are that you cannot share recordings or archive them with this system. You'd need the DVD recorder for that.

Jimmy

3. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I would have to agree with Jimmy, I wouldn't buy a dvd recorder unless you want to share recordings. Sky+ is the business, I use it all the time and have no need for a dvd recorder.

You can get hard drive based systems for music though they are very expensive but look like great fun.

I can recommend the TH42PE30 Panasonic plasma which has beautiful pictures.

4. davet010

davet010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    You'll need a DVD recorder if you want to archive recordings as well from Sky+, for example the Farscape mini-series that made its way onto DVD-Ram disks for me.

5. Judders

Judders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agree with the previous comments. My Sony DVD recorder (GX7) has become redundant since we had Sky+ installed. Maybe used it twice in the past year! :(

Anyone wanna buy a DVD recorder? ;)

6. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9

Sorry, I didn't notice this bit. Plasma? Are you wanting a big screen, say 40" plus? Or are you looking for a smaller say 32" - 37" screen. If its the smaller one then go for LCD not Plasma. LCD's really outperform Plasmas now unless you're after a biggie! (Philips 37 or 32PF9986's are the DB's!)

Jimmy

7. golf guru

golf guru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all... I think I may get the new Pioneer PHP-504 jobbies they have come down fron 6.5k - 4k in only 3 mths ....nice !!