1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Complete novice wants to create DVD

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by iamian, Jan 7, 2005.

1. iamian

iamian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We got a Canon DV camcorder in the sales, it's pretty good and I can play back through the TV - wow, hardly rocket science - I would like to edit my efforts so far.

By some miracle I've managed to create a short video using Windows Movie Maker which came with XP. All the downloading over firewire, editing, transitions, titles etc. has all been done and for a first attempt I'm pretty happy.
    :lease:
    How do I burn this onto a DVD for domestic use? My PC has a Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-106D and I run Windows XP. I also have some software called Nero.

Tried for about 6 hours now - basically I haven't got a clue!

Anyone offer any advice?

2. klr10

klr10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Iamian, you're going to need some DVD authoring software. This will allow you to burn it to DVD in the correct format. There are loads of options out there, I think Ulead are probably one of the cheapest. I'm sure plenty of others will give you some recommendations. They must all be down the pub tonight or I'm sure you'd have had a flurry of responses by now! :D I use Adobe Encore, but it may be a bit OTT for what you need. Hope this helps

3. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes one of the slight drawbacks with Windows Moviemaker is that it cannot burn a DVD and the VCD which it creates can only be viewed on your PC.

What it can do is save your edited masterpiece as a .avi file which you can then import into another programme to burn to disc - did you not get some sort of programme like Nero or Roxio with your DVD burner - they will take the .avi file and create a basic DVD for you - but if you want pretty titles etc then as kir10 says you need another programme - you can get some free trials of suitable DVD authoring software at http://www.ulead.co.uk

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I use Ulead DVD Movie Factory 3 to create my DVDs and it is very easy to use and gives great results. It costs about £30 or less (cheapest I've seen is amazon).
    If however you don't want to spend more money (and who does!) then Nero can do it for you as long as you have Nero 6 or later. The latest version can add chapters and menus, but prior to this I think you will just create a basic playable DVD with no menu or chapters.

Mark.

5. iamian

iamian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies.

I've only Nero 5.5 and there seems no way of creating a playable DVD from the Windows Movie Maker file from what I have ... or is there?

The file (or "edited masterpiece" as I like to call it) I've created is a .wmv file.

Do I simply have to start again to create an .avi ? - Windows Movie Maker gives the option of creating a file to upload onto a camera - the file created for the tape is an .avi?

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Movie Maker can not create a disc of any type, VCD/SVCD/DVD. It is a free program, so don't expect miracles :D
    What you can do with it is capture & edit and then save the file to disk as an AVI file. AVI files are 100% of the origional quality so it leaves you with the most options. Your .WMV file is highly compressed and a lot of the quality will have been lost, so will not make a good DVD at a later date.
    You can then open the AVI file in a DVD authoring program and create the DVD from there.

Mark.

7. iamian

iamian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help and a quick adjunct to the original question.

Messing around with Windows Movie Maker (in advance of buying something from Ulead after pay day) I've managed to create an .avi file on the HDD of my PC with the edited masterwork. It's not a .wmv file but looks like it and is slightly smaller than the source .avi which is right as I've cut bits out.

How do I now put this file back onto the camera? It's a Canon MV750i and is supposed to have DV in??

Clueless as ever.

8. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With an editing programme OTHER than Windows MovieMaker - nearly all other editing programmes will allow you to send the .avi file back to your camera. For a free trial of Ulead VideoStudio 8 (which will do it and burn DVDs) go to http://www.ulead.co.uk or look around at some of the alternatives - see other threads in this forum.

9. mattrixdesign

mattrixdesign

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am a novice to! But easily put together a movie in Windows Movie Maker - I managed to put it on DVD using the software supplied free with my Dell - it was called Sonic Record! And although it is very basic - it worked fine - really easy work! Try a search on WWW.

On another note - I am 95% sure Windows Movie Maker allows you to output back to your DV camera (as long as the camera has DV in!). take a look at the output options.

10. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    From MM2 make sure the 'Task Pane' is visible.
    Click on the option to 'Send to DV camera' under section 3 'Finsh Movie'

Mark.