Complete Novice question re Digital Cameras

pattyg

Standard Member
Reaction score
Sorry in advance

My newish TV has an SD card slot for viewing photos.

Currently having to download pics from my camera phone to my pc then to an SD card to view.

Question is do all digital cameras hold an SD card that I can transfer straight to my TV?

Thanks

Last edited:
No there are a number of different cards (Compact Flash, SD, SDHC, xD, MemoryStick, etc)...you'll need to select a camera that uses a card that is compatible with your TV. You can get convertors (eg xD card into an SD holder), but they aren't compatible with all devices; so test before going down this route.

Tennant

Thanks

Its just a standard sized SD card.

Any recommendations for a decent camera £200 ish.

Now you're gonna get the Sony A200 v Nikon D40 brigade out :rolleyes: Here we go again :(

Do the research, try them out, make a decision, but check the AVF classifieds first :D

Unless you consider 'slightly older' like the Sony A100, Canon 350/400D, there are plenty of options, the arguments pro/con are plenty.

Don't rely on the equipment to do the job for you . . . I think too many rely on the hardware to do the job . . . and once bought have a reality check . . . I don't know what the . . . . I'm doing! Be honest with yourself first, though the learning curve is just that.

Thanks

Its just a standard sized SD card.

depends what you want , changeble lenses , more options than you will ever use or a point and shoot 'party' camera , you need to give us some of the things you are wanting to do with your new camera :)

Thanks

Point and shoot with a zoom facility.

I don't want to print the photos...only store them on the SD card for viewing.

Cheers

Is a Ricoh R8, Panny TZ5 or Nikon Coolpix a decent option for a compact?

If not please advise. Thanks

Last edited:
if it was me i would be going to a decent local independant camera shop ( not comet etc !!!! ) and trying them all out , a good shop like my local will explain the differences and let you play with them :thumbsup:

Nikon is not highly rated at this end of the market so I think you can scratch off the Coolpix.

Out of the other two, the Panasonic TZ5 scores higher in the well respected DPReview test than the Ricoh R8. The main downfall of the Ricoh seems to be the movie mode. It depends which features are important to you, so try and get some hands on with both if possible.

I have played with the TZ5, and found it a well built camera that takes good shots in good light. Never handled the Ricoh, so can't compare them.

Both use SD(HC) memory cards.

What's the difference between SD and SDHC cards....are they the same size?

Thanks for advice so far

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom