1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Complete Novice Please Help...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jellyman_4eva, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Jellyman_4eva

Jellyman_4eva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

This is my first post here so go easy on me...

After dabbling with some LCD Projectors from work (and taking them home for the weekend to watch some movies!), I have decided I would like to purchase one for home permanently. After doing some research however, it became apparent very quickly that a CRT projector is a much better way of doing it (Better colours etc etc - I am sure you guys do not need me to tell you the benefits of CRT projectors!)..

So I have started to look around, on eBay, here and on various other forums, but I am finding it increasingly hard to actually find something which I am confident will work for my situation, so I have come to here for some inspiration.. (and help)

I can never seem to find the same projector being sold twice, they are always different models etc, which causes confusion..

So anyways..

I am looking for a projector which can handle a PC input primarily (15 Pin D-Sub or RGBHV) but also S-Video and other alternatives would be nice... Can a CRT Projector work with a 31Khz signal as opposed to a 15.7Khz standard TV signal?? And what about widescreen? What are the maximum ranges and how do I find out what they actually mean in laymans talk...

I am looking to spend a maximum of approx £500. I shall be projecting onto a wall and the projector will have to be on the floor area (Very weak ceiling in my flat). I know that projectors are not cheap and you get what you pay for.. but I just want something big with better quality than an LCD thats watchable...

How far does a projector have to be away from the screen also? And what are scalers and line doublers??

I am sorry if the answers to these questions are dependent upon which CRT projector I look at...

Any help would be most appreciated.... (Especially if an experienced member of this forum was selling a projector within my budget!!)

2. Erling

Erling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    There's plenty of choice of suitable models to fit your budget. A trawl through some of the finished auctions on ebay turned up a Sony 1271, Electrohome 4000 and a couple of Barcos all within your financial reach.

Line Doublers process low resolution video images by combining the two video fields to create a progressive scan image. The image looks more detailed and has less visible line structure. The scan rate of the new image is 31 - 32 kHz.

Scalers do a similar job but can create a wider range of resolutions to better match the performance capabilities of higher resolution 8" and 9" tubed projectors.

High quality line doublers like the iScan Pro can be bought for under £200 on the secondhand market. Good quality scalers cost a lot more. A third alternative is a home cinema PC.

The projection distance is normally 1.5 x screen width. e.g. 6ft wide screen x 1.5 = 9 ft throw distance.

I'm sure others will chip in with useful info too.

Regards