COMPLETE NOVICE need surround sound?

E

ellie18bod

Hi, we recently moved into a house with four tannoy wallmounted speakers. A tannoy middle speaker on the floor in the bay window. On the wall by the TV two rows of four red and black connections. Half way down the lounge is the same connections again plus a second row of two lots of five black and red plugs (looks like it take banana style plugs).

Now I am a complete novice in these matters. The guy we bought the house off had an AV amplifier half way up the lounge which he took with him.

We need to get the surround sound working. Is there anybody out there that can advise me the cheapest way to get this lot working. Also will I need a Tannoy bass box with an amp in it or will the AV amp power this, can I buy a different make?

What kind of DVD player do I need. How does the whole lot connect up?

We also have a projector in the ceiling with a 100" screen which works fine we have it plugged into the side of the TV.

My wish is to be able to watch movies with surround sound, I do not want anything flash or posh and would consider a secondhand system.

Sorry for my ignorance peeps, I really would appreciate any advice whatsoever. Where on earth do you start in this minefield of technical stuff! Ellie:lease:

BazMan

Hi. I am far from the most knowledgable person on these forums, but I'll have a stab at pointing you in the right direction.

We need to get the surround sound working. Is there anybody out there that can advise me the cheapest way to get this lot working. Also will I need a Tannoy bass box with an amp in it or will the AV amp power this, can I buy a different make?

Pretty much any 5.1 AV Receiver would do the job. You don't mention a budget, but (as with most things) you buy the best you can afford. As far as a sub (bass box) goes, it doesn't need to be a Tannoy. Any "active" sub would do - again, buy the best you can.

It sounds like the speaker cables have been chased through the walls and terminated in the black and red connections you mentioned. All you would need to do would be to identify which connection goes to which speaker and connect the speaker outputs on the back of the receiver accordingly.

What kind of DVD player do I need. How does the whole lot connect up?

Pretty much any DVD player will do, but it'll need some kind of digital output to take advantage of surround sound. Look for players with digital co-ax or optical outputs (or both). These connect to the appropriate input on the back of the receiver.

We also have a projector in the ceiling with a 100" screen which works fine we have it plugged into the side of the TV.

Wow, you lucky thing! I wish my place had had a projector installed when I moved in :D

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom