• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Complete novice looking for help

rickyt32

Standard Member
Hi guys

Looking for a bit of advice on my first ever 5.1 set up. Finally got a space where I can have a proper home cinema set up. After doing a bit of research I'm currently looking at the following Q Acoustics-themed set up:

Denon AVR-X1600H
Q Acoustics 3050
Q Acoustics 3090Ci
Q Acoustics 3010i

The above comes in at £1k. Couple of points:

• Are they any similarly priced set ups that outperform Q Acoustics?
  • Any sub recommendations around £300-£400?
Thanks in advance!

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Hi guys

Looking for a bit of advice on my first ever 5.1 set up. Finally got a space where I can have a proper home cinema set up. After doing a bit of research I'm currently looking at the following Q Acoustics-themed set up:

Denon AVR-X1600H
Q Acoustics 3050
Q Acoustics 3090Ci
Q Acoustics 3010i

The above comes in at £1k. Couple of points:

• Are they any similarly priced set ups that outperform Q Acoustics?
  • Any sub recommendations around £300-£400?
Thanks in advance!

Is that typo on the 3050, you meant 3050i? Judging from this bundle deal 1k£ could be possible without sub.

Dali Spektor 6 package is priced about same.

SSAV has black oak finish available for the earlier Gen Monitor Audio Bronze, the prices are very low! 650£ total for 5.0 package so with the receiver it would be 1k£. Just like Dalis the floorstander B5s are smaller than 3050i (cabinet and driver size). And another difference is the FX speakers ("rears") would be wall mounted with few screws. Bipole/dipole switch at the back so they give you bit more dispersed soundfield. Ideal if you sit close to surround channels and/or don`t like if the effects locate too easily. You can also opt for Bronze 1 but you will need speaker stands just like with QA 3010i.

If you would opt for standmount models as main speakers then there might be more options, but then you need to add stand cost (50£/pair) aswell so it might be too close and lot of people love how the towers look.. After saying that if your use is mostly movies i might still calculate the difference, example QA 3030i + stands might give you bit more budget for better subwoofer which would make bigger difference than moving from 3030i -> 3050i.

Few weeks - month wait and we should start seeing BK P12-300SB and XXLS400 as new grade-b for 346£-399£ +10£ shipping. They have been the most popular picks in that price range for very long time and well there is nothing better in UK market as new for same price. BKE has been building subwoofers about 20years in UK Essex using internet direct business model so the price is very low!

If you want even stronger low end for blockbuster flicks in mind you might be better to save up 100£ more to get the new P12-PR. You can click on the banner of AVForums to read the review. This is sadly missing parts too so little wait ahead.

The next step would be BK Monolith for similar price if size isn´t issue and you are looking even more impact. You can click on the Mono Plus at up to see more finishes if some of those won´t show. As with most of BK models you can choose the driver orientation and the cabinet dimensions change so compare those.

As for the speakers it´s very tough to say which is best for your ears. Personal preference. I don´t think you can go much wrong with either of these having owned/heard all of the brands mentioned. If you can visit your local Richer Sounds, Seven Oaks Sound, Peter Tyson, Audio T then you should be able to listen/compare these brands. QA has fairly neutral sound and it´s been seen as quite safe bet for many even blind buy. And many likes the rounded cabinets, with wife in mind aswell. Notice the floorstanders are quite large so keep in mind that you also need to leave at least 20cm behind them and preferably not too close side walls either. If you have small room / planning to keep them close to corner then i would think twice.

Last edited:

James Casey

Standard Member
@rickyt32 this is pretty much identical to a setup that I'm currently looking at - 2x 3050i + 2x 3020i + 3090i + Denon AVR-X1600H! I'm considering the AVR-2600 at about another £90, but I don't know if that's worth it for potential future-proofing - am I really ever going to have more than a 5.1 setup?

You may be aware that Peter Tyson sells refurbed QA speakers which may save you some money on that setup - for example a set of refurbed 3010i speakers is £155 at the moment, a set of 3050i speakers is £469. Getting refurbed could save you £100 or so, and it seems like these are just ex-display models or ones that have been taken out of the box and tested but not bought. It seems good to me, but maybe not for everyone.

I'm currently looking at the BK XLS200 at about £350 for my sub, but that's probably the component I know the least about. The other options I've been looking at are more around the £500 mark, but BKE seem to get raved about everywhere I've looked, and as I'm also a novice to all this and there's no way of knowing from one week to the next what sort of in-person testing I'll be able to do when I buy in a couple of months, I'm putting a lot of stock in good word of mouth!

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom