1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Complete Noob needs a little help

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by scoot1on1, Apr 30, 2005.

1. scoot1on1

scoot1on1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi
    Ive been reading the forum for a few days now, and I've read so much im now completely baffled.
    My problem is I purchased a Toshiba ET1 and a panasonic SC-HT520, I wish to ceiling mount the projector, and connect this to the Tv, DVD, Video and Sky+ box.
    My Tv only has 1 Scart and a red, white, yellow input and output.
    I would like to have as few wires as possible coming from the projector, and any information on how any of you peeps run the wires along the ceiling, and what pitfalls there are, would be of great help.
    Is there a box that all the scarts can connect to and one cable runs to the projector? and this can switch between Tv and Projector.

All help greatly received as I dont know my composite from my s-video :)

Thanks in advance

Jon

2. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    your pj has an RBG scart which is great for your needs.You can indeed buy a scart switching box ( try Dixons) which has remote control for switching for around £50. The red, white and yellow connection is best avoided for picture quality as it's very poor. ( The yellow is for image the red and white are for sound).
    Get a long scart ( about 5 metres) and place the pj near a back wall if possible so you can run the scart down the wall behind some cable guttering you can buy from a diy shop or do the same along the ceiling. Paint the guttering the same colour as your wall/ceiling and it should be fairly descrete.

3. drunknmunky

drunknmunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i just got a phillips automatic scart switch box from asda at 9.99 which does the job

4. scoot1on1

scoot1on1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Cheers guys, I have been looking through a few other posts and would like your input if a Quintro+ would suit my needs more, as it seems to auto switch everything, and if this is the correct route to take, would I then only require the one scart running from the projector into the quintro+? would this then enable me to do all the things I have quoted above.
    Sorry for being a pain and I really appreciate all the help so far.

PS. what leads would you recommend for connecting all the gear

Regards
    Jon

5. Crivens

Crivens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally all my auto scart splitters caused merging of images, even when one of the devices was off. Sometimes certain colours would flicker, or you would see a ghost of another device floating around the screen. A manual switch box has always been perfect for me. Although that remote version mentioned above sounds tops.

Cheers

6. scoot1on1

scoot1on1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Crivens is that problem caused by cheaper connections? or have you found it is replicated no matter what leads you use?
    Is it a named splitter that you have, just in case I decide to go buy one, I don't want to buy that one :)

cheers

7. PANASONIC MAN

PANASONIC MAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i've used auto and manual scart splitters, and it genuinly makes a difference if you buy a dearer one.

i used a vivanc0 sbx99se at the finish, 4 rgb scart switching, digital coaxial for a 4 scarts as well, remote control or manual as well.

worked a treat till i got my new telly with 4 scarts on it.

8. Crivens

Crivens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't remember what make it was, but wasn't dear. Problem is, if you do have two inputs clashing with each other then what can an automatic switch do? Personally prefer the manual switch, although would really like a remote control one.

I have a Panasonic 36" CRT, and even that has only 3 scarts. But the *main* problem is that only one of the scart plugs is RGB. Why????

Cheers

9. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,111
    The Quintro+ is a good bet especially if you want to output RGB to a TV and/or a PJ simultaneously. It supports 4 RGB inputs and 2 RGB outputs and auto switches + has a remote. I use mine to feed Tivo, DVD and PS2 into a TV and PJ and it works without ghosting or quality loss.
    The auto switching chooses the most recent source to assert itself. So if Tivo is on and I turn the DVD on the DVD gets the output. If I put the DVD into standby it reverts to Tivo. I haven't had to use the remote once in 9 months.

I bought mine in the classifieds here but it's currently on offer over at www.cpc.co.uk works out about £65 inc VAT and free delivery.
    http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSe...earch_001&Ntt=AV0935910&Nty=1&specialorder=on
    You won't find this price in the search there, but it comes from their weekly special offers.