Complete NOOB- Need Help - Panasonic SA-HE7 no volume-

lockhead83

Novice Member
G'day,

This is my first post in the forum so a quick intro:
I always wanted an AV receiver for my home but the lack of knowledge about these systems kept me at bay. I like my music and so far have been getting my fix through good headphones. I recently bought a used AV receiver (panasonic SA-HE7) with some Sony floor speakers + sub for less than 30NZD (YES) as I wanted to test the water and see if I'll be able to handle all the complexity these AV receivers have to offer. I AM A COMPLETE NOOB

To my surprise, the system when plugged sounded fine for exactly 30 mins before it decided to die on me. I've checked all the connections, reconnected everything, check speaker cables and despite that even tuner/radio has no sound (so even when no RCA is connected). I am able to change the various modes on the screen, system starts fine, I hear a click on a start and when changing modes(don't know what that means), no error message nothing pops out. I did not get the remote with it so there is no way I can have muted it(which I guessing a restart/unplug) should have fixed anyways. When I crankup the volume while on tuner, all I hear is the hiss sound.

Apologies for a long post but just would like to pick some brains to see if I get it going before trashing it :)

Would appreciate some help on this. Have a great one guys.

Cheers!

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Were you doing anything or changing any settings when the sound went off?

If you can hear some his, it's probably not the power amplifier stage but a problem with the switching and preamplifier stage. Have you accidentally engaged a different mode, like a tape monitor?

lockhead83

Novice Member
Thanks for the message. Yes I was in middle of installing smartvu android TV dongle (similar to google Chromecast). I've clicked on the 'Tape Monitor' mode a few times and do see the light go on and off but still no sound.

lockhead83

Novice Member
There's also a VCR loop, check that is not switched in either.
No explicit button for that. Also tried 2RCA to 3.5mm jack on various inputs, still nothing. Just a a lot of hiss. Also just noted, when on full volume, can hear some sort of radio channel.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
That all suggests that an incorrect input has been set. If you use the VCR in, do you hear anything?

Can you check that Optical has not been selected?

lockhead83

Novice Member
1. Checked VCR- using 2 RCA input and 3.5mm on mobile. Same hiss sound
2. Can toggle between analog and Digital when in CD or TV. When in digital, speakers go all silent.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom