complete newbie

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by rich1231, Dec 28, 2001.

1. rich1231

rich1231

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I am thinking of getting a projector set up in my appartment but i havnt got a clue what i should be looking for.

It will be used mainly for watching films and very rarely sports events and some TV.

The local AV shops near me (Im in Southend, Essex, UK) dont really have good projector installation experience, and their demonstration equipment leaves alot to be desired.

I was lucky enough to see a SIM2 HT 200 demoing today and Shrek looked stunning, can this pic quality be achieved by cheaper projectors?

Also are there any dealers tha will visit my flat with a selection of projectors to make comparisons?

Sorry for the rambling.

Any pointers appreciated.

Rich

2. leon

leon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    hello and welcome to a mine field :)
    i think first thing you should tell us is your budget ?
    adn what you need to do is find a projector and screen and cables that fit into the over all budget .
    i think i went to a hifi shop in Essex,it used to do lazer discs then dvd ,cant remember the name now ,
    i think there are 3 main types of projector that might work for you
    1 /lcd
    2/dlp
    3/crt
    for ease of use go for a dlp or lcd .if you are using a dedicated room and money is not a problem then crt will do .
    lcd and dlp are designed for ease of setup is kind of aim fire and watch :) crt will involve alot more settiing up .
    sony have a new projector out called the sonyvpl11ht and the 10ht are going down in price alot ,budget around £3000 to £5000 for these items . there are loads of types out there and many manufactures so what i would do is go to see as many as you can and make your own mind up ,because its you that is watching it .
    you could always go and see a type e..g sony/sim/etc and then ask who has got one and are there any bad points to it .
    goodluck

3. rich1231

rich1231

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oops, i knew i forgot to mention something.

The budget is ummm well not defined i suppose 8k all in (about the same as i had budgeted for a plasma. But spending less would be great :).

Location, It will be in my lounge and be ceiling mounted and could be upto 20ft from where the screen would be. As i dont really know much yet, i have no idea what screen size i should aim for, surely the larger you go the less bright the picture?

Any dealers out there prepared to visit me for a fee and take that fee off an order?

I have seen the sim2 ht200 in action, i want to see the ht300 and the 3 sony's vpl hs1, 10ht and 11ht.

Any further inf by anyone appreciated.

Rich

4. leon

leon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    8k cool
    with that im sure you can have the picture you want .i lean abit towards sony because its my 2nd one ive hade and the vpl400 qm ran well for 3 years with no trouble and i never changed the bulb .:)
    screens the two maufacturers that seem to be popular are DA-LITE and STEWART these both are hi-end screens and will perform well. Average price for a £7ft electric screen is around £1000 to £1800
    http://www.da-lite.com/new.php
    http://www.stewartfilm.com/
    Projectors there seems to be the same problems with all types of projectors
    lcd/not so good blacks/dead pixels
    dlp/rainbow effect/new technology /not tested for long periods
    crt/lots of setting up/and large in size
    these points may be blown out of proportion and some people do not worry about these things .
    here are some links to projector types
    http://www.av-sales.com/
    http://www.thebigpicturedvd.com/
    http://www.ivojo.com/
    http://www.robertwhyteltd.co.uk/
    http://home.att.net/~rfowkes1/HT.html#anchor515562

Another little point some price may seem alot cheaper than others
    you might alread no but there are projectors called grey imports these are the real thing but if you have problems with them you might have a little more trouble getting them replaced .its a gamble but it might pay of or it might not .
    good luck .........................

5. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    rich1231,
    Very few dealers can afford to stock a vast range of projectors. To see all on your list you may have to travel. A good place to start would be Musical Images. They have several branches around London and carry some of the more popular projectors. See their adverts in Home Cinema Choice, then ring to find out what they have available.

Screen size depends on your viewing distance. Most of us in the trade recommend a viewing distance that is about 1.5 to 2 times the width of your screen. e.g. 7ft screen viewed from 10.5 to 14ft. We find this rule-of-thumb means you can see the whole image without moving your head too much, which makes it more comfortable to watch. There are people in this forum who go for a larger screen and shorter viewing distance and seem quite happy. The choice is yours.

Projector choice can seem daunting at first. So many machines and such a huge range of prices. There's plenty of advice here in the forum from people in the same boat as you, but there are a couple of things to remember when drawing up a short list.
    1 - At the cheaper end of the price range you get a lot of bang for your buck. As you move up in price the image may not be brighter, but it will generally have more finesse: Colours more faithfully reproduced, greater detail, easier on the eye.
    2 – Most of the folk in this forum are quite passionate about their particular choice of projector. They’ve found the right combination of image quality, convenience and price to suit their own needs; but their choices might not be right for you.

Good luck in your search.

Regards

6. mjwhitehouse

mjwhitehouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will start off with the only advice I will give which is only buy a projector that you have seen for yourself and are happy with the image quality. I would like to point out is that Shrek is a godsend of a movie for displaying picture quality of a projector but for TV or sports you are not going to get the same quality through your projector so don't be disappointed. Toy Story is another favourite for really showing what a projector can do. These are on high quality DVDs and have had digital transfers so this will probably be the best the projector will be (as long as they have set it up properly). The room you will place it in may be lighter or darker than the one demoing and this will also have an effect on the picture quality. Having said that my system was 'inexpensive' (no change from £5000) and I love it. Can I add Screens UK as an option for you. They advertise on the web and deserve a viewing along with the others.:)

7. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=103186

This projector is probably worth a look too, there are so many to choose from. As you have a very nice budget then I suggest you take your time and view as many as possible taking notes along the way. Also reading people's opinions on the projectors you have looked at long the way will help you decide on the projector you finally buy.