1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Complete newbie seeks help

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by tomlee, Feb 26, 2003.

1. tomlee

tomlee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a complete newbie who is looking to buy a digital camcorder. I've recently tried a friends but was very disapointed with the quality of the images when transfered to a PC. I was under the impression that Digital Camcorders produce near perfect results, is that only true when outputting to VHS? I will want to distribute my movies over the web so I need them in MPEG (or AVI) format and to be of as high a quality as possible. Am I doing something wrong or is this just normal?

Also please can someone reccomend a MPEG file compression tool?

Thanks for any help!

Tom

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Most monitors do not display a video to anything close to its full quality as a PC monitor is not designed for TV reproduction.
    If you were to copy the video back to the camcorder and then play it through the TV it would (should!) be exactly the same quality as the origional.
    Most editing packages will be able to convert your video footage to most of the major formats.

Mark.

3. JayX

JayX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    i think my pc does an ok job to be honest. make sure its transferred via Firewire of course, and to full DV spec (226mb/Minute), and it'll look decent enough. mind, i dont fullscreen it, i just edit from standard res. my only gripe is its a lil dark, but vegas has a realtime monitor function (best.. software... ever) so its no big deal