1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Complete newbie question : Satellite TV

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Moosh, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Moosh

Moosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +470
    Hi all

Hopefully you'll be able to guess from the title that I know very little about satellite TV. My parents used to have Sky, many, many moons ago but it's (Sky) not something that has appealed to me (price being one of the negative points).

If I bought myself a dish and some sort of receiver box, would that be all I needed to start watching satellite TV? Even though I've got a HD ready TV would I be wise in holding out a little longer for Sky to introduce their service and then buy a HD compatible receiver or are the ones that are available now 'future proofed'* in any way, shape or form?

Also, what are LNB's and smart cards?? :confused:

* Yes I know, if you buy something now and then in 2 seconds time it is superseded by something new then techincally it was future proof! :rotfl:

Cheers
    Moosh

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Depends on what you mean by "satellite TV"......

Sky are only one of thousands of companies using satellites to distribute a TV service. If you want to receive Sky digital, you will need a Sky receiver and a "smart card". You can buy other receivers which can receive other services available in the UK on other satellites. See http://www.lyngsat.com

A "LNB" (Low Noise Block) is the receiver bit in the centre of the dish which is connected by a cable to the main receiver box. A "Smart card" is a card issued by a satellite broadcaster which enables people to watch encoded broadcasts, and it fits into a slot in the receiver. A smart card can usually be "written to" by the satellite receiver to enable other services or even switch the card off. Note that only Sky receivers contain the necessary decoder to receive encoded Sky broadcasts.

3. Moosh

Moosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +470
    Cheers for that. Will investigate more... :)