1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Complete Newbie after some plasma advise

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by kinkladze10, Mar 31, 2005.

1. kinkladze10

kinkladze10
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, found this site and hoping someone could give me some advise.

I'm looking to get a plasma, been after one for a while and have finally got the funds for it now I'm moving house.

I've been and had a look in the shops and I have to be honest dont really know what I'm looking for, I'd like a 42" widescreen but sales staff havent really helped me in terms of features and benefits.

I know I can get a better deal online but have heard some horror stories so just wondered if you anyone could tell me what the entry level spec would be and what does what, I like look of the sony wega's but looks arent everything.
    Also if someone could point me in the direction of some quality suppliers.

I'd like to get it wall mounted, understand I need to buy a bracket for it
    but does this mean there are trailing wires running down from the wall to the base unit?
    I dont really want to hollow out the wall and fill it as the girlfriend will go ape with all the mess it causes and if we move house I dont want to have to dig the wall out again and fill it back in just to get the wires back.

I'm also after a decent surround sound dvd system that is multi region enabled
    I've the seen the sony DAV SR4 system and I like the ones where the speakers already come on stands but as I already own a Sony DAVS800 I know they almost impossbile to enable for multi region.

final point budget for a plasma is about £3500 and DVD player approx £750

thanks in advance

2. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    The new panasonic model is out check av-sales.com. It looks the buisness with the stand and if the performance is as good as the old model then it would better any model on the market for the price. Leaves u alot more for a home cinema system then.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    have a read of the plasma FAQ at the top of this forum loads of useful info!

4. kinkladze10

kinkladze10
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks guys I had a look at the faq but couldnt understand it.

is there anyway to avoid wires trailing down from the wall as I dont think the g/f will go for it if there is, I think theres something special about it being on the wall, also how much does it cost approx for a proffesional installation ?

5. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    you'll have to either channel the wall out or use some from of wall mounted conduit. HAve you looked at teh get your plasmas out thread?

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Think of your budget added together, I would redistribute the funds a bit. You don't need anything like £3500 for a 42", in fact it would be hard to spend. At £4250 you could even have the lot installed, you are well into custom install basic budget territory. If you don't want to dig holes, or get someone to do it for you, there are some other tricks of the trade for hiding cables. Chrome poles, false walls, stand mount, think laterally. But I really would spend a bit more on the sound. With the forum no.1 plasma you could have some serious sound kit, or cut back a bit and have a 435XDE for future proofing(hi def) and still do well. Avoid all in ones like the black death, the speakers are invariably crap, the right separates need not drown you in remote controls. Have a look at 'get yer plasmas out for the lads' for some ideas about what other members have done. There are some smart custom install jobs in there (blush) and loads of really excellent DIY ones too, and a fair selection of unfinished projects....

Shared innovation again Mep!

7. kinkladze10

kinkladze10
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    right I'm headed to that forum now, which is this the panasonic thats supposed to be the best ?

Prob I have is thats its a new house so have to be carful with walls, might just bit the bullet and get a stand

thks for the help so far much appreciated

8. tamthetim

tamthetim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    wall mount it you won't regret it...............a new house will likely have p'board partition......................which can hide all your cables easily

cheers,tam

9. kinkladze10

kinkladze10
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah I think we need to leave the walls for a "drying out" period so will prob get it after that, anyone know how much it cost approx as I dont have the skill level to do it?

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    No drying out needed B4 digging, get it done. Then the wound can dry out ready for decorating. The actual install cost for this kind of job is about £500, to basically not see a wire. As I said, your kind of budget gets you a PWD, upconverting 7 channel amp, top analogue DVD, cables, converters, wall mount, Anthony Gallo speakers. The falling price of plasma is very good for business!

11. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    where are you based kink?...MAW's the man for the job

12. kinkladze10

kinkladze10
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm 5 mins out of Chester (north west)
    MAW can you pm message me, could well put some business your way in the near future, I just want a hassel free experience handled by someone in the know who wont rip me off)

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    PM sent.