1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

complete new home cinema

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by mandril, Jun 21, 2003.

1. mandril

mandril
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am in the process of building an extension at home at the moment , and the wife has given me the go-ahead to buy a complete new system for the new lounge (though she has no idea how much its going to cost yet).
    So I would appretiate any product advice that anyone can offer as I'm a complete idiot when it comes to this sort of thing. The items I would like are a plasma TV either 42 or 50 inch, a DVD player or maybe DVD/R as long as the picture and sound quality is as good, an amp/reciever (dont really get what the difference is), a speaker system, and cabling. Oh and I already have sky+ so it would need to be compatable.
    I don't really want to spend the earth, but I do want a very good spec. Once I get a general idea what its going to cost then I can say, well I can afford a little more here or less there perhaps.
    The room size is about 5 metres by 5 metres (16.5ft square), and needs to be toddler friendly. I'm sure the best speakers will be floor standing and weigh a tonne, but I don't really want my daughter to hurt herself every other day when she pulls them over.
    I am going to put trunking in the walls in each corner of the room and the centre rear to take the speaker cable, and the wall the plasma will go on will be false to hide the cables to it, and I already have a unit to go under the TV to take all the equipment.

So if you've made it this far thank you I know this is a long one, but I really do need the help. Oh and sorry if I'm posting in the wrong forum.

Thanks in advance

Bloodybigtiger

P.S is there anything else I need to do at the build stage that will help

2. DEANO65

DEANO65

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im using new kef eggs, 3803,dvd 3800 and a fujisu 50 brill and child safe, send me your email and ill send u some pics

3. mandril

mandril
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Deano,

My adds bloodybigtiger@yahoo.co.uk

I just searched through and checked out your equiptment, it all looks very good and about the money I was thinking about. Do you have any regrets about any of your choices? Also does the dvd player have pal progressive scan? Oh and do you have your speakers wall mounted or on stands?

Does anyone else have any opinions?

Thanks again

Mandril:)

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's plenty of sat/sub system -Kef Eggs, Anthony Gallo Micro/Diva, Ruark Vita, Energy Take 5.1, M&K K range.. and probably loads more.

IMO you don't need to go crazy on the AV amp (ie Pioneer 2011/Denon 3803) when using sat speakers. Something like a £400-£500 AV will be fine.

5. DEANO65

DEANO65

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dvd 3800 has pal and ntsc prog amp has component switching and the ability to up signals from composite and svhs ,picture q is about the same though from them,shelf is from ikea works a treat for greasy fingers etc no regrets pic and sound is superb,.

6. briandzo

briandzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i bought some of my kit from creative audio.
    http://209.167.103.167/home.htm
    they do deals on multi purchases and chuck in cables too.

remember to budget for cables and trunking etc.
    i have 70metres of speaker cable in my setup.
    that can cost a small packet on its own
    especially when you add in the nice touches such as banana connectors.

also decent scart leads cost a packet
    and your probably be wanting component cables too.
    these cost..

point being budget a few hundred quid for the extras.......

My spec listed below is fantastic.... im very pleased.
    although your always find niggles here and there.

oh yeah and the software..
    this home cinema lark has cost me close to £2000 this year in dvd's alone..

7. mandril

mandril
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nathan,
    I like the look of the Keff speakers the best of you selection (Anthony Gallo Micro/Diva are well out of my price range).

Brian,
    I haven't really thought about the cables although I know they will be expensive, the trunking on the other hand is peanuts as I'm building the room from scratch I'll put the stuff everywhere. I will probably put it in the four corners, centre front and rear, and a couple half way from the tv to the back wall. Even if I dont initally use them all at least they are there.
    One thing though if I get the Keff speakers or something of a simular size I would probably mount them on the walls close to the ceiling, (out of the way of little fingers). Would it make any differance to the sound quality?

8. mandril

mandril
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the pix Deano. Do you think the keff's will be OK in a larger room. Also I couldn't find a price for your plasma, if you don't mind what did it cost you?

9. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I was getting a complete system also, here is what I went for:

Panasonic 42" plasma (4 series)
    Arcam DV88+ (pan/ntsc prog scan dvd player)
    Arcam AVR200 (amp/receiver)
    5 Anthony Gallo Nucleus Micros + the sub (3 wall mounted under plasma and 2 on AG wall flower stands)

Also have a TiVo which the XBox and Sky Digibox daisychain through (SCART) then the TiVo(SCART) to a JS Tech RGB to VGA convertor, VGA to the plasma.

DVD connects via component cable. Speakers to amp with the cable that came with the speakers.

I also built in to the wall SVideo and composite cables.

All the video cables I got from Lektropaks(sp?) which are good quality/price and can be made to any length you want with the expection of the VGA cable which I got from JS Tech. From the TiVo to convertor which is an IXOS scart cable.

Mike

10. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Putting speakers in corners is generally not a good idea for sound quality. Mike's setup with 3 under the plasma (or one under and two just either side of the plasma - on the same level horizontally) would sound better.

Cheers,
    Liam

11. DEANO65

DEANO65

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have a good sound from keff eggs depends on what you want,try get a demo m8 somewhere . the fujisu was 5500 including wall mount, cheers

12. mandril

mandril
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mike,
    it sounds like you have an excellent set up, but you have probably spent a little more than I'd like to in every area. although I'd love to know how much you got it all for and where from.

Liam,
    I know its better not to put speakers in corners, but how much difference do you think it really makes. I just think they would look neater tucked away, but I would site them better if it makes a big difference to the sound. I remember when I bought my first nice stereo about 15yrs ago. I got some infinity speakers and the guy in the shop looked disgusted when I suggested wall mounting them.

Cheers,

Ricky

13. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    A set of kef eggs placed correctly will likely sound better than Nucleus Micros in the corners - it makes that much difference. Honestly - positioning and room characteristics have a relatively large influence on the sound quality - more so than the number of watts that the amplifier is rated at...

Cheers,
    Liam

14. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I took advice from Uncle Eric (on these forums) on speaker placement. All below the plasma with the centre in the centre (obviously:D ) and the other 2 at each corner of the plasma, same level as the centre speaker.

Ahh costs, scared to add it all up but here goes, these are approximate prices as I can't remember exactly

Plasma £3300 (inc Unicol tilting wall mount and delivery) - from AVSales

AG Nucleus Micros+ sub (5 of them, 3 wall mounts, 2 wall flower stands, all in stainless steel) £1500 - from Uncle Eric

Arcam AVR200 - £800
    Arcam DV88+ - £1000

both from SevenOakes in Edinburgh.

JS Tech RGB to VGA convertor £120 check out John's site www.rgbtosvideo.com

Cables:
    5m VGA £44 (incl delivery) from JS Tech (I also have a 2m VDC VGA cable that I bought from John which cost £40 but I will sell it for £25 if anyone is interested)

The following are from Lektropacks.co.uk and are from their Prolonk range

5m SVideo - £34
    5m Component (3Phono to 3BNC) - £54
    5m Composite (1Phono to 1BNC) - £22

I also use a 5m IXOS scart cable (although I don't need 5m this cost about £70)

Total - £6944:eek: :eek: :eek:

This doesn't include my Optimum hi-fi rack, TiVo etc

15. mandril

mandril
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Point taken Liam.:)

Mike,
    You have gone over my buget with your system. I was hoping to pay no more than £5500. But hay if I have the money when the extensions finished it needs to be spent!

Heres a list of the items I like the look of so far:

Marantz SR6300 amp/receiver
    Keff KHT2005 speakers
    I love the look of crane audio oceana's but unles I could physicaly bolt them to the floor there out of the question
    PioneerDV-656A , Denon DVD 1600 (I havent really looked into DVD players properly yet but I wouldnt want to spend much more than £500).
    Toshiba 42WP16 (only because of the review in the home cinema mag).
    Hitachi CL42PD3000 (better price).

Cheers
    Ricky

Just spotted this;
    http://www.av-sales.com/html/celestion_avr320e.html

Opinions???