Complete new comer wanting to learn

beastofrock

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi.
Currently on my iPhone not able to search the whole forum properly but I have just come back from a friends where he has a htpc and it really took my fancy. I have somewhere in the region of 400 blu rays and would love to just be able to back them up and just play them off a htpc and put all the discs in the attic creating a lot more space. So basically to begin with I would like to buy a ready to roll computer and look into building my own in the future so any recommendations would be brilliant and also what program to use to rip and view the films through my tv.

Thank you in advance :)

Hi.
Currently on my iPhone not able to search the whole forum properly but I have just come back from a friends where he has a htpc and it really took my fancy. I have somewhere in the region of 400 blu rays and would love to just be able to back them up and just play them off a htpc and put all the discs in the attic creating a lot more space. So basically to begin with I would like to buy a ready to roll computer and look into building my own in the future so any recommendations would be brilliant and also what program to use to rip and view the films through my tv.

Thank you in advance :)

Wow! 400 bluray will take some storage! (and time to rip). You're looking at something between 12-16 Tb of storage for those and maybe more for future expansion.

I would probably suggest a 2 box solution for this. One (small, quiet) HTPC in the lounge/Home Cinema room and a large expandable RAID box somewhere else (maybe in the attic with the discs!) with a Cat6 network between them.

In terms of HTPC I'd be tempted to wait until IvyBridge is launched later this year and get one with HD4000 integrated GPU since you're likely to definitely getaway without another GPU with this one. It was due to launch in April, but it sounds like it will slip to the summer.

SBR

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom