1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Complete Media server installations

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by ashleycarr, Apr 4, 2005.

1. ashleycarr

ashleycarr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

Newbie to this and seeking advice. I have decided to embark on an ambitious project to centralise the whole of my media entertainment onto a single media server that will allow me to store Movies, pictures MP3's control satellite TV, record programs and surf the web from a single interface. The research so far suggests the Axonix's Mediamax system (www.axonix.com) has just about everything I could wish for along with the ability to distribute to other rooms. My question is this, do any of you have any knowledge or experience of handling an installation like this? I am particularly concerned/interested in the issues of storage and inevitably hardware failure. So raid array, striping, mirroring etc raises its head. Should I use Axonix's media storage or go for an alternative that could be cheaper or more robust?

Regards
    Ashley

2. Snow Board

Snow Board

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ashley

Do you know of a system that costs less but does the same?

Not a wise choice to surf the net with a system like this, do you really want to risk a virus corrupting all the lovely hard drives?