Complete media house install - Questions.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by nick w, Feb 3, 2014.

1. nick w

nick w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I am building my own house practically and I am after some ideas, suggestions from people on how best to achieve what I want.

I want media distributed to 4 bedrooms, 2 lounges, games room and a study.
    Home automation will be achieved by LightWaveRF

Currently I have plans to cat5 the while house.

Hardware so far:
    N54l micro server with 10TB of storage. (Plex media services running)
    2 miditowers running xbmc

How would you feed the rooms with media and what would you be looking to play it?

Plex seems to be install on everything at the moment but I was looking at small form factor HP Dc7800 and using wake on lan and running xbmc.

What about running plex in the bedrooms with NowTV boxes and dc7800 for the rooms which will be used more often?

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    N

2. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Unfortunately Lightwave doesnt have any AV control products just lighting, heating and power.

Have a look at Loxone for full home automation control especially if starting from scratch, we have both in our portfolio so i would say Lightwave is better for retrofit for lighting/power/heating and Loxone for new build.

I would also recommend running Cat6 rather than cat5 and at least 4 runs to each room (more if using Loxone for heating, lighting and power control)

I would also still run a coax aerial backbone.

If a new build i'd start with getting the infrastructure and with cat6 you can use if for streaming, control , HDMi over cat6, etc etc.

A combination of IP streaming, HDMi over cat6 and coax for freeview (as a backup) would be how I would go.

Seb