Complete installation of Sat Dish mainly for Hotbird!!

ali1999

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm totally new to this; thinking of installing satellite system to get Hotbird (mostly for Arabic channels). Looking for advice with regards to acquiring a fairly good system also want a 2nd receiver in bedroom ( is it poss?) :
Dish size;
LNB;
Receiver and anything else that goes with it.
Ideally want to be able to get most channels without having to pay extra;) if you know what I mean!! I've seen a receiver on Ebay for £200:

DIGITAL SATELLITE RECEIVER TM 6800 HD PVR USB PATCHED. Is this a good buy for what I need?
I live in Coventry (West Midlands).
A shop nearby has offered Echolink 700FTA plus an oval dish (about 55 or 60cm) for £125 inc cable + installation. Obviously no mention of getting channels which are encrypted. As I say I'm after quite a good quality picture with extra channels at no extra charge; also I would like to get Sky or Astra using the same dish. Is that poss? Also is it necessary to have a HD receiver? Thanks for all the help.

Footprint for 13E here
Hot Bird 7A at 13.0°E - LyngSat Maps

and you'll see that a 60 - 70cm is adequate

If you want the signal to go to two rooms you will require a twin output LNB with a separate feed to each room.
Examples here
Twin LNBs. Twin output LNBs, 40mm & C120 flange. Big Discounts. Low prices. Sky LNBs. Low prices.

A lot of Arabian channels such as ART are encrypted and a subscription is required.

I don't think that there are any HD Arabian channels ATM
A complete list of HD channels from various satellite (including 13E) available in the UK is here - very few are free
HDTV channels - KingOfSat

Sorry, I've just re-read the post...
To get 19E and 13E on the same dish is easy and one easy way is with a monoblock LNB such as
http://www.satellitesuperstore.com/monoblock.htm

Last edited:
If you want sky as well on the same dish you need to get Astra2 (28.2e). You will not get hotbird and astra1 as well as astra2 you would need a motorised dish.

Another thing to think about, is that a lot of arabic channels have moved to 9e as well, so if you were to want this sat as well, you would need a small lnb for this channel...

If its poss to get 28e,13e,19e on one dish then what would be the required dish size and any particular receiver or is the box for sky a separate issue?.

The dish sizes shown in the link are for Triax TD 78cm, 88cm or 1.1cm dishes.
Smaller sizes are possible but the sizes given will give better results and rain-fade factor.
A search on the net and here will bring more info about multi-LNB setups.

No particular receiver is required as the LNB outputs go into a DiSEqC switch, with one output cable to the receiver, and are selected by the DiSEqC control on the receiver.
Sky receivers do not have DiSEqC control
Channels shown FTA on 28E (Sky) can be seen on any receiver. To view Sky subscription channels on a non-Sky receiver the following are needed
1 - A valid Sky card (obviously)
2 - A emulator CAM which will accept the card such as Dragon/T-Rex/Diablo (cost around £70 - £90)
3 - The Sky card would need to be kept updated in a Sky receiver
4 - If you wish to use the CAM for other things (which cannot be discussed on here) a programmer (around £50) is also needed

....is it necessary to have a HD receiver?
It can't be necessary, but even with 28E included (without a Cam and Sky card) there are scarcely enough HD channels to make it worthwhile.

It can't be necessary, but even with 28E included (without a Cam and Sky card) there are scarcely enough HD channels to make it worthwhile.
unless you actually have a sky hd subscription and want to use a non-sky box (i.e. to be able to go multi-sat with just needing the one box). Then it becomes worthwhile...

hi fernandez i have a motorised sat setup i have a cas3+ and diablo light card is what ure saying is that i could use my technomate 1500cm+ with my sky digital card in this cam,and would i need to programe anything like the cam,iam learing things everyday i have had this sat setup for 5 yrs and didnt no this. thanks for any help its all appreciated

... i have a cas3+ and diablo light card is what ure saying is that i could use my technomate 1500cm+ with my sky digital card in this cam..

The CAM will read the card but not accept OTA updates and so must be updated in a Sky box.
Anything else the Diablo is capable of cannot be discussed here.

There's plenty of info on this CAM on the net or PM me

Hi Fernandez,
I've now decided to install Hotbird7A 13E + Eurobird 9 at 9E (mainly for Arab channels). Have no equipment at all at the moment. Thinking of starting with Technomate 6900. Possibly tm5200 to follow for upstairs. Don't like the idea of motorized dish and want to keep dish size to minimum (in the West Midlands area).Don't mind paying a bit for good quality LNB's if necessary. Any advice will be very much appreciated

Hi Fernandez,
I've now decided to install Hotbird7A 13E + Eurobird 9 at 9E (mainly for Arab channels). Have no equipment at all at the moment. Thinking of starting with Technomate 6900. Possibly tm5200 to follow for upstairs. Don't like the idea of motorized dish and want to keep dish size to minimum (in the West Midlands area).Don't mind paying a bit for good quality LNB's if necessary. Any advice will be very much appreciated

You needn't spend a fortune on LNBs but one thing to look out for is the actual size.
As you intend to receive 13E and 9E on the one dish the LNBs will be fairly close together as there's only 4° between them.

This is only an example
HISAT : Satellite equipment and information : Triple-Dragon, GbSat, Twinhan, Visionnet, MVision, Dreambox

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom