1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Complete home hi-fi system

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Triggaaar, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    Does anyone have, or know much about music systems playing to several rooms?

I'm about to move home, and interested in the thought of having a system playing through speakers around the house - and possibly controlling the system from those rooms.

Are these dreams still for massive budgets only, or can they be had for a few grand?

Thanks for thoughts

2. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well if you get an amp with AB switccing, thats two rooms at least. You can have.. A front room. B lounge. AB both. If you was to split the B set of speaker between the lounge and bedroom say. that would be more rooms. but only one speaker in the last two rooms.

3. Doctor_AB

Doctor_AB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Yamaha do a hard drive with wireless access in any room. Cyrus about to launch an expensive version.

Try yamaha web site

4. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    Thanks - that's pretty much what I'm after - looks like £1800 for an 80gig HD, which can support 7 clients - each client unit costing £500, outputitng 17W.

The Imerge is simillar.

Now looking at the Cyruslink.

But are you getting decent sound for all that cash? I'd be interested if you could make your own PC jukebox that you could control from smallish units in each room.

5. Del

Del

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    :hiya: Triggaaar

I could personally vouch for the QED Systemline Multiroom
    Website could be found HERE

I have been using their multiroom system for almost 5yrs. Although it's a 4 zone(Room)system, I had it expanded to 6 zones (6 rooms) where 2 of the zones(Rooms) are shared.
    It has also been upgraded to the current version 4.4

You can have 4 sources on the system. In my case DAB Radio, Hard Disk Music Server, Sky+ & MultiDVD Changer.

You can control the entire system from the zones by keypads and/or remote.

You can save a considerable amount on installation by prewiring the rooms with Cat 5 SHEILDED Cable to where you would like to have the Keypads and likewise with speaker cable.

Although the system is sold as a dealer install, QED were kind enough to send me a manual for the system which allowed me to do all the prewiring during renovation.This enabled me to install the system myself and my dealer checking that it was commissioned correctly.

With regards to cost, it's not as much as you think, in my case about £3k & it goes just beyond the music based system in your original question.

I hope this info helps

Del

6. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,295
  7. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    That is the sort of thing I'm after Del, thanks. Now I've seen a few models that offer what I'm after, searches on this forum have shown I'm not on my own.

Yamaha and Imerge both offer the functionality - but I'm not sure if the sound quality is reasonable for the price tag.
    From what I've read of Systemline, you can go through the CDs on the HD using a keypad, but without seeing the CD Titles (which would be annoying).

Right, now I'll have a look at Opus - thanks

8. kuadev2

kuadev2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0