1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Complete Home Cinema System

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by CMM, Mar 27, 2002.

1. CMM

CMM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am about to take my first step into home cinema and purchase a DVD player, Amp and speaker combo. After having a look around various sites I have came up with the following package solutions for my budget of about £700

Pioneer VSX-C300-S amp, DV-444 dvd player, S-V50 speakers (£649)

Pioneer VSX-D710 amp, DV-444 dvd player, S-V50K speakers (£679)

Pioneer VSX-D810 amp, DV-444 dvd player, S-V50K speakers (£730)

Yamaha RXV420RDS amp, DVDC996 dvd player, NSP220 speakers (£649)

Yamaha DSPAX620 amp, DVDS510 dvd player, NSP320 speakers (£700)

I was wondering if any one had any dealings with any of these systems, and what were there good and bad points.

Also has any one any comments on either of the two internet suppliers mailuk or homecinema

Thanks for your help

2. Mitch2000

Mitch2000
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't comment on the Pioneer but I have the Yamaha RXV420RDS Receiver and NSP220 speakers (HTIB40 Package £380 at hispek.com) and a DVDS520 (£195). This is a bit less than your budget so I would probably go for a similar equipment with perhaps some bigger speakers if you've got the room, such as Mission or Wharfdale.
    Can't comment on the internet sites you mention but have been pleased with the service of Hispek.com and Hifijunkies.co.uk

3. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Your last option would certainly get my vote. Great amp, great player... don't know the speakers though. I have a 620, after auditioning loads of similar machines. It was by far the best in my humble opinion.

Of course there was no Marantz SR5200 receiver back then... which might also be worth a look.

4. sofaboy

sofaboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I have the Yamaha 620 av amp and Im really impressed with the sound (clarity etc) that this amp gives out

I have quite a large room (about 25ft) and im running Kef cresta 2 (as front's) and cresta 1 (as rears) and also using the yamaha sw 305 sub. Plus

Ive never had to have my amp turned up over halfway (and i do like it loud)

I can relly recommend the Yamaha 620, for ease of setup and use.. and also the different sound progs built in.

Its a shame you have to budget but im sure you cant go far wrong with the Yamaha

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I have Pioneer 444 and how, I went for a Technics SADX950 would have liked a 1050 or a Marantz 4200 but too much wonga. With careful buying over the net from Hifibitz (excellent) and QED-uk (average at best), I spent £500. I then spent £100 at lektropacks for cables!!! :eek: Don't underestimate the cost of good cables!!!:eek: :eek:

6. Justin@UH

Justin@UH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    You`ll find comments about us (Home Cinema Heaven or Upgrade Heaven as we are better known for in terms of Multiregion DVD) either on the newsgroups, or in the suppliers forums at DVD Forums ;) Nothing to worry about as we been arround for years..