Complete home cinema advice

L

Lucky Scotsman

I am just about to purchase my first home cinema system and would like some advice as I don't know much about it all.

The room for the kit is a fair sized square room with a minimalistic look, so I'd like my setup to also be minimalistic (can change that for better quality).

Are the one box solutions any good?
For these, I was thinking about:
Philips LX7000SA
LG DA-3520
AIWA HT-DV90

Or would I be better off going for a package with a seperate receiver? This would be a DVD player, then a home cinema kit (receiver & speakers).

Or is a complete seperate system the best way to go.

My budget is about £400 for everything.

The system is going to be used for DVD, music and TV. I will probably also want to connect my PS2 and Hi-Fi to the receiver.

I am not sold on any ideas yet, so please give advice on anything that I should think about.

Thanks,

Colin

Midge

Can't advise on separates, as I went for the all in one soloution. However, bought the Sony DAVS500, and for my needs it's top drawer!! (well in my opinion anyway)

meep

Colin,

I'd advide to go as seperate as you possibly can within your budget. That way, you can always upgrade a single component in the future as you can affordt it and repurpose the replaced part in another area of your house.

I initially invested in a panasonic 5.1 system with seperate DVD player, receiver and speakers. I soon replaced the DVD with a HTPC and moved the DVD deck to my living room.

Now, I've just purchased a replacement receiver and will employ the original as part of a whole-house audio sysyte,

If you go the all in one route, and you can afford to upgrade in the future, you'll need to upgrade everything. (unless you find an all-in-one with the right connectiosn to allow connection of external devices)

Having said that, if you have no upgrade plans and sinply need a system to sefve you for a few years, you'll probably get best value in an all-in-one.

Regards

Peter

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom