Complete DSLR swap to high end compact...

netronelson

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Haven't been on the forums for ages hence the post & need for a bit of help... I'm just not using my DSLR anymore - too big for days out with the family & I just don't have any 'me' time to go off and take photos as I used to...

I've budgeted around £1,000 - £1,350 to spend on a smaller, more practical-but quality set of gear... Something that is easy enough to whip out and snatch photos of the (very active 5y & 2y old) kids, but also with the (optimistic) idea that I can rebuild/add to the kit & hobby aspect for me too...

I already have a lumix GF1, and love it, apart from the lack of range, but would sell that too as part of the up/downgrade...

Seen a few reviews for the x-pro1, and love the thought of eventually getting a Leica lens and even a Leica body (one day), but it looks kind of clunky and reviews are mixed... Is the anything else out there to compare with this now/on the horizon?

Many thanks in advance

Nelson.

Had a look at some of the rangefinder camera's? they are as small as compacts but a beast!

You then have the mirrorless ones from nikon canon or sony to play around with that dont cost nowhere near your budget

The current flavour of the month is the Olympus OMD-E-M5. Owners report it is great at taking photos although can struggle with fast moving objects although this seems to be an issue with many of the mirrorless cameras due to the way they focus.

I'd suggest EM-5 as well, but I'm a bit confused as you already own a LUMIX GF-1 - 20mm & 45mm leica macro? Do you take this out? The OM-D would be an upgrade, but obviously not smaller/lighter. Or are you really after something that doesn't need it's own bag like a Sony RX100. The X-Pro1 is a brick in comparison to all these cameras.

Yes the AF tracking on the OM-D isn't as good as a good DSLR, but it's seems to be serviceable and one shot is lightening fast.

I am in a similar dilemma myself. I must admit to not using my DSLR much for much the same reasons, too big to cart around with the family and not enough time with work etc to get out and about for serious stuff.
I am looking down the micro 4/3rds route. If I didn't already have the GX1 which I am happy with then I would also look at the OM-D E5.
I use my GX1 with the 14mm F2.5 pancake and the 14-42 non-X kit lens. My plan is to flog off the DSLR gear along with 14-42 and to add the new Panasonic 12-35 F2.8, the PL 25/1.4 and then add a telephoto zoom (not sure which yet - probably Panny 100-300). That should give a decent zoom range from 12mm to 300mm (24mm to 600mm equivalent) with hopefully not too great a loss in IQ compared to the DSLR.

Thanks for the responses...

Yes, I take the gf1 out all the time, but never took the leica macro out (actually need to update my sig as I sold that last year).

And yes, it more of an upgrade for the gf1 and a downgrade (though I'm hoping only in size) for the dslr.

I'll do a bit more research into these three (canon m, x-pro1 and o-md e5) the marketing blurb ticks the right boxes, just need to compare images and product range...

Are there any other contenders in this area?

Cheers

Nelson

I've just moved from a Nikon D-SLR to a Fuji X-Pro1 and am loving the feel and usability of the Fuji. It reminds of the old Canon A1 SLR I used to use 20+ years ago. The screen is of extremely high quality, it has an optical viewfinder that doubles up as an electronic viewfinder, the 35mm lens is an outstanding piece of glass and the low light picture quality is brilliant.
Go to a shop and try one out if you can. I don't think you'd be disappointed.

Depends what you want, as you already have the GF1 and some M4/3 lenses the EM5 is would be a good body, its really very good AF is excellent, AF tracking I suspect isn't as good as say a Canon DSLR but its much better than I ever experienced with the older Sony A300/A700 I had and much faster than the X-Pro 1 AF.

I've had the X100 and X-Pro 1 and I can honestly say that as a full range system that I can use for anything I would a "full" DSLR the EM5 and Micro 4/3 is much better just now, mainly lens wise.

I can go from landscapes with the 9-18mm, general walkaround with the 25mm, portraits with the 45mm and aviation photography with the 100-300, all in a size that I can fit in my daily "man bag".

The X-Pro 1 image quality is outstanding but at the moment only the 3 lenses is a bit restrictive (although more are on the way!)

Overall I'm glad I've got the Olympus EM5, apart from at high ISO's I can honestly say its very hard to tell the difference between the X-Pro 1 with the 35mm lens and the EM5 with the 25mm lens.

I've just moved from a Nikon D-SLR to a Fuji X-Pro1 and am loving the feel and usability of the Fuji. It reminds of the old Canon A1 SLR I used to use 20+ years ago. The screen is of extremely high quality, it has an optical viewfinder that doubles up as an electronic viewfinder, the 35mm lens is an outstanding piece of glass and the low light picture quality is brilliant.
Go to a shop and try one out if you can. I don't think you'd be disappointed.

now you're talking(!)

I got an AE-1 to help me with my shooting ratio (and lovingly accepted the 'cough' with every shot), it bloody helped, and I really liked that 'gun metal' feel...

Depends what you want, as you already have the GF1 and some M4/3 lenses the EM5 is would be a good body, its really very good AF is excellent, AF tracking I suspect isn't as good as say a Canon DSLR but its much better than I ever experienced with the older Sony A300/A700 I had and much faster than the X-Pro 1 AF.

I've had the X100 and X-Pro 1 and I can honestly say that as a full range system that I can use for anything I would a "full" DSLR the EM5 and Micro 4/3 is much better just now, mainly lens wise.

I can go from landscapes with the 9-18mm, general walkaround with the 25mm, portraits with the 45mm and aviation photography with the 100-300, all in a size that I can fit in my daily "man bag".

The X-Pro 1 image quality is outstanding but at the moment only the 3 lenses is a bit restrictive (although more are on the way!)

Overall I'm glad I've got the Olympus EM5, apart from at high ISO's I can honestly say its very hard to tell the difference between the X-Pro 1 with the 35mm lens and the EM5 with the 25mm lens.

aaaand, we're back to the dilema - This sounds much more sensible... maybe it will come down to a 'heart' over 'head' decision in the end...

now I just need some time to go and get some hands on time in the stores...

also, has anyone got a quick-link to somewhere that shows the EM5 lens range?

Last edited:
The Olympus EM5 is micro 4/3rds so uses exactly the same lenses as your GF1.

Cheers
Steve

now you're talking(!)

I got an AE-1 to help me with my shooting ratio (and lovingly accepted the 'cough' with every shot), it bloody helped, and I really liked that 'gun metal' feel...

aaaand, we're back to the dilema - This sounds much more sensible... maybe it will come down to a 'heart' over 'head' decision in the end...

now I just need some time to go and get some hands on time in the stores...

also, has anyone got a quick-link to somewhere that shows the EM5 lens range?

I'd agree on the heart over head thing, it was head that made me swap out the XP1 for the EM5 as for my needs the Olympus is more capable, despite the heart saying Fuji!

I also picked up the XP1 used at a huge discount to new so was willing to try it but consider that an XP1 with even just the 35mm lens is roughly £1800, you could (if patient) buy an EM5 body for just under £900 (Amazon UK had this earlier in the week)

thanks weavie...

I'd agree on the heart over head thing, it was head that made me swap out the XP1 for the EM5 as for my needs the Olympus is more capable, despite the heart saying Fuji!

I also picked up the XP1 used at a huge discount to new so was willing to try it but consider that an XP1 with even just the 35mm lens is roughly £1800, you could (if patient) buy an EM5 body for just under £900 (Amazon UK had this earlier in the week)

Yes, this is looking like the more financially viable option... also, there's just something about buying the 'latest' tech and paying a premium just to have it... which isn't the reason for the swap-out.

now i just need to sell all my other kit(!)

thanks everyone..

n.

Popped out at lunchtime today to LCE and got a hands on with the ons and x-pro1 (no batteries or lenses as I didnt have the time)

Was VERY surprised that the x-pro1 felt way lighter, even though it's the bigger of the two cameras, and that convinced me that the omd is the one I like the most...

Coupled with the lense range, price, weatherproofing and faster AF (for snapping the kids), it's all but a done deal...

LCE gave me their email address and said to give them my list of gear as possible part exchange. Has anyone got experience of their prices? Good / bad?

Hassle free?

Cheers

N

Glad you've been able to get them in your hand! I was quite surprised about how light the X-Pro 1 was!

The deed is done - gear for sale in the classifieds if interested ;)

Popped out at lunchtime today to LCE and got a hands on with the ons and x-pro1 (no batteries or lenses as I didnt have the time)

Was VERY surprised that the x-pro1 felt way lighter, even though it's the bigger of the two cameras, and that convinced me that the omd is the one I like the most...

Coupled with the lense range, price, weatherproofing and faster AF (for snapping the kids), it's all but a done deal...

LCE gave me their email address and said to give them my list of gear as possible part exchange. Has anyone got experience of their prices? Good / bad?

Hassle free?

Cheers

N

I am looking at doing the same and as it happened popped into LCE as well to be given an email address to send them a list of my gear.

I see you are selling on here so were the LCE part-ex prices not attractive ?

Did you buy an OM-D from LCE ?

Havent emailed them yet, I figured they would be lower, and always like to know my stuff goes to a good home ;)

If I sell the 'big' lenses, then I may part ex the small stuff just to get rid, and maybe the tripod cos it weighs a ton!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom