1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Complete confused on what to buy

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by swilt, Feb 26, 2003.

1. swilt

swilt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all

I am totally new to Video Cameras, I have read all the reports that I can find on them for the budget that I am looking at, and can not decide what to do, can I please have personal recommendations. I thank you in advance.

My budget according to magazine prices is around £700 but searching the web I can normally reduce that by say £150.

The main camcorder I have seen and appears to do evertything that I require (family videos) is the canon 500i. The one thing that confuses me is the way that the photo shoot works. The reviews all mention it uses something like 7 seconds of tape, and not a memory stick or cartridge

Does this mean that if I am recording my family then want to take a photo, and return back to filming I will have to edit the tape to take out the photo, or on playback does it not appear?

My other requirements were for a small camcorder as I already have enough bulk to carry around with me due to having twins aged 1month.

can anybody please help on recommendations or should I wait for the new ranges to come out in the next few weeks?

Thank you all in advance.
    Simon

2. swilt

swilt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again

After reading a lot of reviews, well nearly every thread on this site, it would appear to me that most people have steered away from the Cannon 500i and chose the Panasonic GS3 as far as I can see they look very similar.

What I haven't seen is many people going for the GS4 which is only an extra £30 and has a memory stick if I am right. Are there any reasons for this that you guys know about?

Regards
    Simon

3. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lack of DV In as standard.

Then again I went for the GS5:smoke: