1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Complete beginner to MP3!

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by alipaul2, Nov 10, 2004.

1. alipaul2

alipaul2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I have received a new MP3 player as a gift and it was from Japan, an Onki make. For the life of me I really don't know how to use it, can I copy music CD's to it and if so how? I really can't wait to use it properly, have plugged in the usb cable but the manual is not very clear at all. I have installed the software, I have Real One player and Windows Media Player but where to go from there I do not have a clue!!! Can anyone send me some details helpful instructions on how to get it working please, would really appreciate some help! Thanks :hiya:

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Hi alipaul2 and welcome to the forum :hiya:

Right, to get the music onto your MP3 player you can't just copy a CD. The files on a CD are .wav and as the name of the player (MP3) may suggest you need to convert the .wav files to .mp3 files that take up a lot less space, but normally also loose some quality. The higher the compression used the more music you can get onto the player, but the lower the quality will be.
    To get the files onto my PC from a CD and then compress to MP3 I use a program called Exact Audio Copy (EAC). If you do a search for EAC you can download it for free off the net. There are many other MP3 conversion programs, some are free and others you need to pay for. Another popular one is WinAmp.
    Once you have the MP3 files on your PC's HDD you can then just drag them onto the player unless the software/instructions give details of another method of copying them across.

Hope this helps,
    Mark.

3. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,420
    Since this has nothing to do with video recorders I'm moving it to the relevant forum.
    Please read the forum headers correctly to chose where to post your questions, folks.