For Sale Complete 24-bay NAS / File Server, 24TB, 6U

Discussion in 'Computer Classifieds' started by Plasma Dan, Jan 14, 2019 at 3:02 PM.

1. Plasma Dan

Plasma Dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Complete 24-bay NAS / File Server, 24TB, 6U, Sliding Rails

24-bay-nas-server-mod.jpg

For sale I have my unique 24-bay file server, comes with all the hardware required. Selling due to moving house and nowhere to fit it. All works perfectly. I would like the sale value to cover the cost of buying a smaller off-the-shelf NAS to take it's place, so I'm not left with nothing.

The Seagate drives shown in the photo above are not included, but 8x newer WD 3TB Enterprise Class 24x7 drives are available separately (still under warranty), or as a bundle if the price is right.

Hardware Included / Specs:
    • X-Case RM424 4U 24-bay Rackmount Case (Short Modded, <300mm Deep)
    • X-Case / RackPc 2U Short Rackmount Case With Dual 5.25, 400mm Deep
    • LMS Data 6U Wall Mount Cabinet, 550mm Deep (With 3x 120mm Rear Fan Bays)
    • 2x Short Rackmount Sliding Rail Kit (Installed)
    • F2A55-M Motherboard
    • AMD A10 Quad Core CPU
    • Scythe Low Profile Copper CPU Cooler
    • 4GB Corsair RAM
    • Samsung F60, 60GB SSD
    • Corsair 750 Watt HX750i Fully Modular ATX PSU
    • Intel Quad Port Gigabit Ethernet Network Adapter
    • LSI MegaRAID SAS 9261-8i RAID Controller (BRAND NEW)
    • Intel RES2CV360 6Gb/s 36 Port RAID Expander
    • 2x SFF-8088 External SAS cables
    • 1x High-Current Custom Power Cable (see details below)

HDDs (available separately, or as bundle):
    • 8x Western Digital SE WD3000F9YZ 3TB SATA III - 6Gb/s 24x7 Enterprise Class
    • Bought 26th December 2014, 5-year warranty still in affect, have receipt (cost over £1k)
    • Very low drive uptime for the age, has not been used 24/7. Can check SMART data on request.

Software (installed):

• Windows Server 2012 R2 (fresh install)
    • MegaRaid Storage Manager
    No physical media included, all available online.

The server currently contains my backup movies / TV show collection (~10TB or so), plus a bunch of software etc which I regularly use, in a hardware RAID5 configuration. It's just had a brand new RAID controller installed in December 2018, priced at £120. The hardware RAID means should the RAID controller fail for whatever reason (my old one was pulled from a used system), the RAID configuration is not lost. I was able to install the new RAID controller with no issues or data loss.

file-server-cabinet.jpg

The server has been offline for the majority of last year (due to the now resolved RAID controller failure) and safely housed in the cabinet shown above (not included, but smaller 6U cabinet is included). I'm honestly reluctant to get rid of it, but as you can clearly see it's not exactly small, and I need to downscale.

At less than 300mm deep, the drive caddy is a short mod of an X-CASE RM424 24-bay rack server case (cost around £500 new). All the backplanes are linked to an integral Intel RES2CV360 RAID expander (cost around £400 new, special US import). This allows all 24 drives to be liked to a compatible RAID controller, such as the included MegaRAID SAS 9261-8i, using only 1x SFF-8088 cable, or 2x for increased bandwidth (both included).

Separating the drives and server this way allows this setup to fit easily into a short rack or enclosure, unlike most 24-bay servers which tend to be far too long and require full depth rack cabinets. It is also much easier to manage thermals this way. I used 3x high flow 120mm PC fans ducted directly outside to cool the entire server and drive caddy with no issues, even in summer temperatures. The drive caddy itself incorporates 3x 120mm temperature controlled fans to keep the drives cool (you can see the temperature probes in the photos below).

2015-06-10 14.19.16_109.jpg

2015-06-10 14.19.16_100.jpg

2015-06-10 14.19.16_102.jpg

2015-06-10 14.19.16_105.jpg

2015-06-10 14.19.16_107.jpg

2015-06-10 14.19.16_104.jpg
    The rear of the drive caddy has 2x external SAS (SFF-8088) connections for increased bandwidth to the RAID controller, and a specially made high-current power cable to deliver power from the servers power supply (this is the reason for the oversized power supply). This unique mod has worked beautifully for the 3 years I've had it. The power supply is silent & very reliable.
    2015-06-10-14.19.16_121.jpg

2015-06-10-14.19.16_119.jpg
    The server itself is pretty-much what you'd expect, a small form-factor Windows system with solid state boot drive, quad-core CPU, 4GB RAM, 4-port Intel Gigabit ethernet card, MegaRAID SAS 9261-8i RAID controller, and the last 2 slots are used for the SFF-8088 and power connections for the drive caddy.

This setup is very quiet (can only hear the small intake fans whirring), emits very low heat, and works with Windows; since I use it as a Windows Server. Obviously, this can easily be swapped-out for something more powerful such as a FreeNAS setup, it's just a matter of moving the SFF-8088 and power I/O slots to the new setup.

Collection preferred for obvious reasons, I'm based in Colwyn Bay (North Wales), but I can deliver myself within reasonable distance (~50mi). Alternatively, I have family in Bolton so I could take it down there and buyer collect it.

I'm open to sensible offers as this type of hardware is expensive, and I've invested a lot into it.

I have more photos available. Any questions, ask away!

Dan.​

Price and currency: £995
    Delivery: Delivery cost is not included
    Payment method: Cash, BACS
    Advertised elsewhere?: Advertised elsewhere
    Prefer goods collected?: I prefer the goods to be collected

Please be advised, all buyers and sellers should satisfy themselves that the other party is genuine by providing the following via private conversation to each other after negotiations are complete and prior to dispatching goods and making payment:

• Landline telephone number. Make a call to check out the area code and number are correct, too
    • Name and address including postcode
    • Valid e-mail address
    DO NOT proceed with a deal until you are completely satisfied with all details being correct. It's in your best interest to check out these details yourself.

2. daws0n

daws0n

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    How much are you asking per HDD?

3. Plasma Dan

Plasma Dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I'd take £50 per drive, but I can't pull them before selling the server as this would break the array and cause loss of all data. Unless you want all 8?

EDIT:
    Here's a picture of the rack cabinet + rails (included)...

IMAG0200_zpsim0gvu08.jpg

Dan.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019 at 11:37 AM
  4. stefairy

stefairy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi,

I'll take 2 of the WD 3tb for £80 collected from Bolton if you end up there or Colwyn Bay if not. Obviously smart report showing no bad sectors etc would be needed. I'll be cheeky and ask for the 2 least used drives if possible haha.

I'm in no rush for the drives so can wait for you to sell the server. Sorry to be a pain but would PPG be ok, my funds are low so soon after Christmas?

Cheers Steve

5. daws0n

daws0n

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I can offer £90 for a pair of WD drives - I would require delivery though.

6. Plasma Dan

Plasma Dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Thanks for the offers guys. Once I have a buyer for the server I can replace it with a smaller NAS and separate the drives.

Dan.

7. stefairy

stefairy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi Dan,

Does that mean you accept my offer and we're now waiting for the server to be sold for us to go to PM?

If so can you post SMART test results for the hard drives?

Cheers Steve.

8. Plasma Dan

Plasma Dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Waiting to see what happens with the server first. If someone makes me a good enough offer for the whole setup it would be far easier for me. Will post the SMART data when I can, server is offline atm.

Dan.

9. Humanitarian

Humanitarian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I'd be interested in the rest of the WD drives. If you get the server sold, you can pm me.