Complaint to UK Gold

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by paiger, Nov 4, 2002.

1. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear UK Gold,

Last night I settled down to watch some excellent repeats of Only Fools and Horses which were shown back to back. No problems, had my amp at normal watching volume and everything was good.

However, when it came to the adverts I was most dissapointed. I was expecting the volume to rise at least 40 fold and turn my AV system, my house and indeed, my entire town, into a scene resembling post-war Nagasaki. Instead, the volume only rose in cataclysmic proportions and merely blew the fronts off my speakers and deafened myself, my wife, the dog and two passing goldfish.

Can you do nothing right? I expect this to be put right in the future. Remember to tell your sound man that when the break starts, he MUST push ALL the sliders up to MAX (11) and then try to push them further still.

Thank you

Steve

2. Thor

Thor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    This is not the only channel, try Sci-Fi channel, it's the worst case, followed by Bravo and get your socks blown off too!:D They have been gradually increasing the advert volumes for a long time now on most of the channels. I am usually in a race to get to the remote now to mute my amp before the advert sounds begin, in the lull where the titles appear.:mad:

3. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to agree with this, it’s now getting ridicules. When will they learn that we are more likely to listen to the dammed ads if they leave the volume alone. In the current situation most people I know think **** my ears and also worry about neighbours complaining so reach for the remote and mute the dam things.

So NTL, Sky and any other broadcasters and any company paying for a TV ad, listen up! STOP FIDDLING WITH THE BLOODY VOLUME! And we might actually listen to some of your ads.

:mad: :mad:

4. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get this...

The new Reality TV channel doesn't even have any ads. But, they still have their ad break volume set to apocalyptic levels. (they just show Reality TV promos right now) Add to this the problem that several of the TV shows (Mounties, for one) have very poor audio, so in order to hear anything, I have to crank the volume up. (see where I'm going with this?) The result is at best shocking, and at worst painful.

The only way ads could get any less appealing is if there was an attachment on your TV that poked you in the eyes during the ad breaks. Advertisers do this on purpose. Now I know you have to be a soulless whore to work in the advertising field to begin with, but I didn't think they were this stupid. (apologies in advance for that statement :p )

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You'd have thought that they'd realise everyone and his dog has a remote control, and will simply mute anything that irritates them sufficiently. The ad volume is way over my irritation level.

6. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm glad it's not just me. The first ad is wasted as we scramble for the remote and the rest are also lost to us because we are debating what the $%*" is wrong with these morons that they actually think this is a good idea.

I don't expect it to change though. Bunch of c$(k£uck£rs.

S

7. cessquill

cessquill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Paramount's another guilty party that's got me the wrong side of annoyed with their REALLY LOUD ADVERTS.

Other annoying ad things - for some reason I get miffed when Sky One remove their logo for the adverts but not for the actual programme. Also, a lot of channels show the same adverts and trailers several times in a film, which just reinforces the Groundhog Day syndrome that is digital TV.

Is there any intelligence/vetting with advert placements? Is June Whitfield selling twighlight years financial packages reaching the correct audience on the Sci-Fi channel, or is advertising space so cheap that they can afford to omit any common sense and logic?

grrrrrrr :)

8. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But just look at the benefits. You can take out a loan to consolidate your debts, invest it in a pension and then sue the b£$*a$%$ all in one ad break.

S

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Not to mention get in debt again with a dodgy motor. The bird in green get up my nose.

10. cessquill

cessquill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ha ha ha! Fantastic!

Don't forget saving for next year's Christmas and driving away a used car on the same day.

Uh-oh, don't say the ads are working...

11. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I never watched a lot of ads before, but since I've joined the Cult of TiVo, I don't watch any. Good friggin' riddance!

Course, I do miss adverts for upcoming shows and movies, but I've got AVForums to keep track of that stuff. :D

Enjoy it while adverts are still ignorable...

From Futurama
    Fry: So you're telling me they broadcast commercials into people's dreams?

Leela: Of course. Didn't you have ads in the 20th century?

Fry: Well sure, but not in our dreams. Only on TV and radio. (pause) And in magazines. (pause) And movies. (pause) And at ball games and on buses and milk cartons and t-shirts and written on the sky. But not in dreams. No sirree!