Complaint about AVForums

I wish I knew what this thread was all about? :(
There are all kinds of people who lead different and interesting lives, messing about doing what they want to do.

It looks like someone created an avforum account to make a purchase based on a false advert. Having realised a mistake was made then wished to delete the account.

That's all.

Some folk could be offended by a brick wall.

Hang on, what about the breezeblocks in all of this? Or the stones?
Any exactly what type of construction are you referring to? Cavity? Compartment? Crinkle Crankle?

Lumping all of these - any many more - into one single 4 letter adjective indeed ... do you not know what year it is?! Pah!!

Why is it that when someone takes the piss out of someone for being a bit daft, people go straight to the 'It might be ASD/ ADHD'?

Chances are the poster hasn't got any form of learning difficulty and is just being dim-witted.
I agree.

Unlike a real-life interaction with a person, it's a lot more difficult on the internet to distinguish between someone who's dim-witted and someone who has learning difficulties. I'm sure many people on here have thought someone to be dim-witted due to what they're saying in a discussion and they may even call them dim-witted, or similar. The problem is that the "dim-witted" person may have some form of learning difficulty.

If someone says something idiotic then there's nothing wrong with commenting on that. I don't think it's reasonable to self-censor based on the possibility that the person saying something idiotic has learning difficulties.

I agree.

Unlike a real-life interaction with a person, it's a lot more difficult on the internet to distinguish between someone who's dim-witted and someone who has learning difficulties. I'm sure many people on here have thought someone to be dim-witted due to what they're saying in a discussion and they may even call them dim-witted, or similar. The problem is that the "dim-witted" person may have some form of learning difficulty.

If someone says something idiotic then there's nothing wrong with commenting on that. I don't think it's reasonable to self-censor based on the possibility that the person saying something idiotic has learning difficulties.
Good point.
Also, isn’t it also a bit insulting to people that are on the spectrum?

Dim witted person on internet = automatically assume they might be on the spectrum...

The person has gone so it doesn't matter what it says here. They ain't reading it.

A guest can read what is posted here!

If someone makes a complaint about your post labelling the individual as "on the spectrum", the complaint will receive due and fair consideration. Do not worry 😎

If someone makes a complaint about your post labelling the individual as "on the spectrum", the complaint will receive due and fair consideration. Do not worry 😎

To be fair though, he wasn't using that label in an insulting way, just as an explanation of why the OP might have sent the message.

Was it even a complaint about the forum?

Google could have linked him to classifieds and he made an account before realising.

Not an unreasonable request to have their account deleted.

Was it even a complaint about the forum?

Google could have linked him to classifieds and he made an account before realising.

Not an unreasonable request to have their account deleted.
Surely you have a look around the site before you sign up?
For all he knew the classifieds could have been a not too elaborate scam webpage with fake listings to phish his details...

Surely you have a look around the site before you sign up?
For all he knew the classifieds could have been a not too elaborate scam webpage with fake listings to phish his details...
Depends on the circumstances that brought you to a site, some people are not that savvy when it comes to browsing, my mum after keep showing her day in and day out still has trouble with her mobile.

Even resulting in her ordering a couple of things she never intended to because she wasn't sure what she was doing, thankfully she was able to cancel them.

That is not what I wrote and nowhere in that post did I label that individual as being on the Spectrum.
As for being worried, I can reassure you I am not worried, rather more, as I have stated in this thread, shocked that this type of post was even made to start with.

This thread should be maintained for future generations. "Offended for the sake of being offended - class of 2021"

Some folk could be offended by a brick wall.
It's kind of come full circle now.

Yes... people did (and still do) get offended by innocuous comments. But how it's come full circle is when nobody is offended or even says they are offended... but someone assumes they are.

That just drives the narrative of a society where people are constantly offended. But often times they're not, it's just an assumption made to continue the narrative.

As someone with two family members "on the spectrum", this is much ado about nothing.

As someone with two family members "on the spectrum", this is much ado about nothing.

Are you saying being on the spectrum is nothing?!
I'm offended by that!
😛

Yes... people did (and still do) get offended by innocuous comments. But how it's come full circle is when nobody is offended or even says they are offended... but someone assumes they are.
Then there is no problem that this ‘type of post was even made to start with’ or are people now asking for ‘shocking’ things not to be posted because they’re not offended by it?

Are you saying being on the spectrum is nothing?!
I'm offended by that!
😛

In a way yes. Because I know my family members where they can don't want to be seen to be different or treated differently than others. In a similar way those with disabilities don't want people to see their disability.

Needless kerfuffle over one line from a person no-one actually knows anything about.

In a way yes. Because I know my family members where they can don't want to be seen to be different or treated differently than others. In a similar way those with disabilities don't want people to see their disability.

Needless kerfuffle over one line from a person no-one actually knows anything about.

Depends on degree to which the person is affected. I can tell you my ASD Daughter very much wants people to know, because otherwise her difficulties are unseen and she appears outwardly neurotypical. Whereas the reality is far from that.
Straying into another topic though, which I am happy to have a discussion about.

Depends on degree to which the person is affected. I can tell you my ASD Daughter very much wants people to know, because otherwise her difficulties are unseen and she appears outwardly neurotypical. Whereas the reality is far from that.
Straying into another topic though, which I am happy to have a discussion about.

That's fine, I didn't mean to cast a blanket over how all feel.

I think in general though from what I've read (which is quite a lot naturally), those on the spectrum wouldn't want someone saying, "oh that's okay because you're on the spectrum" if they happened to say something daft or behaved in a particular way. That becomes a stigma then.

But as you say, it's straying into other territory.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom