• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Compiling a demo disk?

AngelEyes

Distinguished Member
Hi chaps, not sure which forum this should go in but...

I want to lift certain scenes from my favourite DVDs and compile a demo disk for reviewing hardware. I have a Mac & PC and wondered if you have any suggestions on the right kind of software that will not compress the audio/video.

Basically I want to copy selected chapters without any kind of conversion and burn them to a new DVD.

Thanks.

paulst10

Distinguished Member
hi m8, " dvdshrink " will let you do this, im sure it is free to download.

it looks a little bit tricky at first but it is quite simple to do.

after it analyses the disk, you press re-author and drag the main movie file over onto the other page... then you should have " start / end " highlighted, click this, then cut out the part of the film you want and press back-up (i think) then leave that page open. and do another film using the same process as above, then drag that part of the film over onto the page with the other cut out (you will then be piling up clips of films (as seperate titles)

it is a bit time consuming but it works. this is not illegal as long as you own the originals.

if you get stuck pm me and i will talk you through it

AngelEyes

Distinguished Member
Cool, thanks for that.

Do I need to rip the files with DVDFAB 1st or can I do it all through Shrink?
I have a collection of R1 & R2 so will this work if I don't use FAB?

I'll have a play...

Adam

paulst10

Distinguished Member
no dvdshrink will decrypt the dvd as well, its pretty much like an all in one ripper but you will need dvd burning software

unique

AngelEyes said:
Cool, thanks for that.

Do I need to rip the files with DVDFAB 1st or can I do it all through Shrink?
I have a collection of R1 & R2 so will this work if I don't use FAB?

I'll have a play...

Adam

you can rip and do it all with shrink. i've used it for the same purpose.

i found the easiest way to do it was this-

rip the part of each dvd you want to a folder on your pc as if you were just going to burn a very short dvd - and that will rip and create a folder with vob/ifo files etc that you could burn or play with powerdvd etc

then use dvd shrink reauthor mode and grab all those "little dvds" and order them how you want on your disc, and then it will create another folder (or img file if you wanted) with the dvd to play

this wont give you a menu tho, but its pretty easy when you get the hang, PLUS you can mix both PAL and NTSC material on a disc, with both widescreen and fullscreen. PAL and NTSC on a single disc isn't strictly a compliant disc, but most players will play it. thats they type of disc i create usually, grabbing various clips and stuff off the internet, authoring them as PAL or NTSC according to the original source, and maybe incoporate with clips from official dvds, so i have say a single dvd with lots of music videos and tv performances etc. most software wont let you put PAL and NTSC together, but dvd shrink dont care!

AngelEyes

Distinguished Member
Ok, sounds pretty straightforward.

The next question is how to create the menus, I have a few bits of software that allow you to do this with home movies etc but not sure about vob files?

Thanks for all the help guys :)

Fat Tony

I'm not completely sure, but:
1. I do not think you should 'back-up'/burn each clip as you go (I thought you could only do this once), you should do as Unique suggests and collate all the material on the hard disc & then burn in one attempt.
2. You should also check the compression is at 100% before you burn (which it will be unless you are amassing lots of clips adding up to over 4.7gb) as the software will automatically compress the files to squeeze them onto the media.
3. You would not any menus this way (again, I'm not aware of other software that may do this). But then again, if you are not having too many different clips, you might not need to bother as you could still skip forward to the next clip.

I gotta ask ... what scenes will you be gathering for your test dvd?

AngelEyes

Distinguished Member
Well a bit of a mixture really, some stuff to test, deep bass, surround effects and dynamic range, at least that is the idea.

So far it includes scenes from:

Matrix - lobby shootout, bullet time (on roof) and chopper crash
Saving Private Ryan - Omaha
Iron giant - lake 'bomb'
U571 - Depth charged
FOTP - Takeoff to crash
Jurassic Park DTS - (T Rex)
WOTW - Lightning, Rising Tripod, Hill Battle
LOTR - Sauron goes pop
Open Range - Final Gunfight
Constantine - visits Hell

If anyone can suggest a few more from these movies or others (I have quite a collection) I would really apprecaite it, especially surround scenes! :thumbsup:

AngelEyes

Distinguished Member
Fat Tony said:
Obviously The Good, The Bad and the Ugly will be on there, right? :D

everyone is picking on me today :rotfl:

R

recruit

House Of The Flying Daggers in DTS should be on that disk the Drum scene at the Beginning :smashin:

AngelEyes

Distinguished Member
Good one... added!

paulst10

Distinguished Member
we were soldiers - burn em out.
black hawk down - irene
saving private ryan - tank approaching bridge
master and commander - cannons fire
lotr 3 - elephunts

AngelEyes

Distinguished Member
paulst10 said:
we were soldiers - burn em out.
black hawk down - irene
saving private ryan - tank approaching bridge
master and commander - cannons fire
lotr 3 - elephunts

Don't have we were soldiers but the rest will go on.

Can't belive I forgot MAC :rotfl:

R

recruit

Angeleyes - If you are ever in a AV or Hi Fi shop they always keep Demo disks in for customers see if you can borrow one if you know what i mean ;)

AngelEyes

Distinguished Member
I think I will enjoy making my own, besides this way I know none of the soundtracks have been compressed etc.

When I was at AV-Sales their demo disk was a bit out of date anyway so I will be happy to create my own 'masterpiece'.

If anyone else has all the DVDs on my demo disk :)lesson:) I could be persuaded to make more copies :devil:

Are there any good scenes in the Star Wars movies? I could compile a Jar Jar spectaclier, any takers?! :D

paulst10

Distinguished Member
AngelEyes said:
Are there any good scenes in the Star Wars movies? I could compile a Jar Jar spectaclier, any takers?! :D

star wars ep 1 - pod race , and obi wan vs darth maul fight
star wars ep 2 - asteriod chase :thumbsup:

Ian J

Banned
AngelEyes said:
Are there any good scenes in the Star Wars movies?

No, it's all crap

PS should I transfer this thread to the DVD Talk forum which is where I tend to dump most of the other weekly "Which are the best demo pieces" threads :D

paulst10

Distinguished Member
Ian J said:
No, it's all crap

eh? ep 1 + 2 have some of the best surround sound pieces you are ever likely to hear

AngelEyes

Distinguished Member
Ah, Ian making new friends again? :rotfl:

Feel free to move it, it has definately wandered off topic :)

paulst10

Distinguished Member
Ian J said:
I was talking about the film not the soundtrack

i agree, the actual movies arent that good, but their soundtracks rock (except for ep 3 - whoever done the soundtrack for that, missed the .1 in 5.1)

Marcus Geezer

Standard Member
Guys... sorry to break the momentum of the current posts in this thread, but today I have downloaded both dvdshrink and dvd decrypter and have succesfully experimented in order to use this software to isolate favourite scenes to compile a demo disk.

Unfortunately however dvdshrink wil not decrpyt anything. I have to wait 15 minutes for DVD decrypt to perform a full pass of the disc creating a full image of it on my hard drive, at which point I then select the scene I want using the dvdshrink authoring function.

Is this the way it works or am I missing something? I was hoping to just put the DVD in, and then quickly use dvdshrink to create an image of the selected scene onto my hard drive, and once all compiled use DVD decrypt to burn the demo DVD.

Any pointers would be useful. :)

unique

Marcus Geezer said:
Guys... sorry to break the momentum of the current posts in this thread, but today I have downloaded both dvdshrink and dvd decrypter and have succesfully experimented in order to use this software to isolate favourite scenes to compile a demo disk.

Unfortunately however dvdshrink wil not decrpyt anything. I have to wait 15 minutes for DVD decrypt to perform a full pass of the disc creating a full image of it on my hard drive, at which point I then select the scene I want using the dvdshrink authoring function.

Is this the way it works or am I missing something? I was hoping to just put the DVD in, and then quickly use dvdshrink to create an image of the selected scene onto my hard drive, and once all compiled use DVD decrypt to burn the demo DVD.

Any pointers would be useful. :)

i dunno what you are doing, but dvdshrink would be the only thing you need to rip the files to the HD, and then you just need to use nero (or whatever) to burn the files to a dvd

its perhaps as you are creating all your "Mini dvd" files as iso's/images rather than vob files - just rip as vobs, and use nero to burn the vobs

if you dont have nero, when you are creating your final compilation, let dvd shrink create a final iso for you to burn with dvd decrypter

you can get guides on both software from places like www.dvdrhelp.com

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom