Competitions that you have Won something, anything big or small, awards/prizes included

diannebye

Ex Member
Reaction score
Start off with my first competition. I remember it was with a local newpaper..Sutton Guardian..It was a really good win and was very pleased with the prize. It is the only photo that I have of me winning a prize so any other will be just written.....

Attachments

• thumbnail_sony walkman.jpg
    thumbnail_sony walkman.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 120
I won a very nice high def, music streamer from here AVForums, was awesome

I won a very nice high def, music streamer from here AVForums, was awesome

I won a HD projector on here, and a pair of Soundmagic ear phones, a Jimi Hendrix HDDVD (that I think everyone won). and a Monty Python blu.

I've done quite well out of AVF.

I won £20 in a pack of Walkers crisps once. Anyone remember when they did this back in the 90s?

Won a GT mountain bike in an online comp with The Sun around 2002, still use it.

Won a Trotter's Independent Traders Reliant Robin miniature, signed by John Sullivan, off the BBC Comedy website around 2000 iirc. It's on my lounge window.

Here ...

Screenshot_20201004-001315_Chrome.jpg

Won a GT mountain bike in an online comp with The Sun around 2002, still use it.

Won a Trotter's Independent Traders Reliant Robin miniature, signed by John Sullivan, off the BBC Comedy website around 2000 iirc. It's on my lounge window.

Here ...

View attachment 1375897

How did you do that search?

I won a Yamaha soundbar after filling out a form at the What Hi-Fi booth at the Bristol Hi-Fi show many years ago.

Start off with my first competition. I remember it was with a local newpaper..Sutton Guardian..It was a really good win and was very pleased with the prize. It is the only photo that I have of me winning a prize so any other will be just written.....
Kenny Everett's Capital Radio Show in the mid 80's he would do competitions. One was a intro of a song and you had to phone in and give the song name....it was Jack abd Diane and I got through and won a £100 smackers....2nd time I won on the show I recevied a Capital GoldSports Bag and a Lightweight Nylon Bomber Style Jacket all printed wuth the Capital Gold Emblems....Wish I had kept them.........
Loved his Shows Radio and TV...
'' In October 1981, Everett returned to BBC Radio, this time on Radio 2, on Saturday from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. During this time, the BBC received a large number of complaints after Everett told the following joke while live on air. 'When Britain was an empire we were ruled by an emperor. When we became a kingdom we were ruled by a king. And now we're a country we're ruled by Margaret Thatcher''. The show continued until 1983, when he was dismissed by Radio 2''

Last edited:
Considering my dislike of a certain companies products, my £1000 win of apple tech 2 years ago was quite funny and one I couldn't claim due to a slight issue I was not aware of when I entered the comp.

Considering my dislike of a certain companies products, my £1000 win of apple tech 2 years ago was quite funny and one I couldn't claim due to a slight issue I was not aware of when I entered the comp.
It turned out you wasn't a sheep?

Baaaa :p 🤣

I was around when the first issue of "Warlord" the comic was first published. And after a few weeks/months they held a competition for their readers, can't remember any details but I was one of about three winners.
I won a walkie talkie set. Keep in mind those days we didn't have the luxury of bluetooth so the two units were tethered to each other by around twenty metres of bell wire. The excitement of wining was soon tarnished once my poor attempts at packing the thing away after each use resulted in a 30 minute de-tangle the next time wanted to play with it.

We've done pretty well on Facebook completions - and not the dodgy "Win a TV we can't sell because the box has been opened " pages either..

Best prize was from Castrol in 2017 where we won a 2 day trip to the British Grand Prix, complete with paddock passes and a pit visit to the Renault team, plus grandstand seating, overnight accommodation and a slap up dinner in a gastro pub on the Saturday night!

We've also won a months worth of groceries from a farm shop, a rose gold and silver necklace from a local jewellers and most recently a signed Lando Norris picture of his 2019 car.

Never won anything on AVF, but I am not that diligent in entering every competition!!

In the 1990's I submitted a photo to Jessops for their magazine front cover, I don't think they could have had many entries that month as I won and received a voucher to be spent in their store. I think it was £100 but I'm not sure.

I won a tea set from shell when I ran a local petrol station back in the 80's but those are the only 2 things I can remember winning.

Nothing springs to mind. Some friends of ours won £10K on one of those 'name the voices' local radio competitions.

Thinking about it I have been quite lucky with competitions, might have to start entering again.
£250 Hotel voucher
Travel fishing kit
Scooter which the shop bought from me for £900
Football pools twice It was a syndicate of 15 first win £32k second win £19k
Two hospitality tickets to watch Sunderland play Man U and won a signed football for nearest time for the first goal.

I was around when the first issue of "Warlord" the comic was first published. And after a few weeks/months they held a competition for their readers, can't remember any details but I was one of about three winners.
I won a walkie talkie set. Keep in mind those days we didn't have the luxury of bluetooth so the two units were tethered to each other by around twenty metres of bell wire. The excitement of wining was soon tarnished once my poor attempts at packing the thing away after each use resulted in a 30 minute de-tangle the next time wanted to play with it.
We have erected a washing line that we should change...Hubby set this after I went off the rotary one as its in the shade too much..makeshift one is tied from this chalet we have to across the driveway and then tied to one corner of the property...So when done with he coils it up so neat and tidy that when you unravel it, it end ups in knots and loops and by the time you sort it the washing is dry anyway.......

..oops wrong post by me

Last edited:
I’ve won one or two things over the years (nothing major like a car, holiday or a really large sum of cash) but I would consider myself reasonably lucky as I have one or two friends who say they never win anything

- A years membership to David Lloyd’s gyms via a Notts Evening Post competition around 2002
- A Lynn Kiko hifi system about 2 years ago in a raffle
- 2k on the Irish lotto in the mid 1990’s

Having just been made redundant a win or two wouldn’t go amiss right now! :)

i won a velodyne sub on another (now long gone) av forum...sold it tho when i upgraded my speakers and went down the stereo route... but it was decent...

some small amounts on the lotto and premium bonds..

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom