Competition rule change

Atmos

I would like to suggest a rule change. It’s akin to the rule change made with F1 qualifying to make it more interesting.

When the competition starts at the beginning of the month everyone gets 1 entry up until the 15th - cut off day. From then on everyone gets to submit a second picture.

Reasons. First it encourages people to post picture early. Giving us all something to look at. Second it stops people from only posting a picture in the last few days after they have judged all other entries while people who have posted early don’t get that luxury.

Having two entries over 30 days would create far more interest and creative pictures to judge.

Waiting 27 days to see others photos seems like an age if you posted your picture in the first week.

No one is forced to enter two photos and there’s no real advantage entering two.

Like F1 which is split into 3 sessions it has made qualifying worth watching for the full hour rather than the last 5 minutes.

Just a suggestion.

icemanonline

Distinguished Member
I like your idea... But I think the biggest problem is getting shots posted anyway. Imho the number of entries in the past few years had dropped of, even at the last minute there are sometimes just a few. So having a new rule as a must that a shot must be posted on the first 15 days is probably going to put of people giving the competition a go anyway....imo.... Going by the participants in the past few years.

Just saying what I see.

Good ideas but.

Ice

Atmos

I like your idea... But I think the biggest problem is getting shots posted anyway. Imho the number of entries in the past few years had dropped of, even at the last minute there are sometimes just a few. So having a new rule as a must that a shot must be posted on the first 15 days is probably going to put of people giving the competition a go anyway....imo.... Going by the participants in the past few years.

Just saying what I see.

Good ideas but.

Ice
Anyone who wants to post just one picture can do that at any time. But some of us who have more than one image with a alternate vision could get to show it before the 15th.

My idea is designed to create more pictures, more interest and more traffic. Anyone who wants to drop a picture on the closing day can still do so. It’s just sad we only get to see or talk about the image for a brief moment before the competition closes and we’re on to the new month.

icemanonline

Distinguished Member
Anyone who wants to post just one picture can do that at any time. But some of us who have more than one image with a alternate vision could get to show it before the 15th.

My idea is designed to create more pictures, more interest and more traffic. Anyone who wants to drop a picture on the closing day can still do so. It’s just sad we only get to see or talk about the image for a brief moment before the competition closes and we’re on to the new month.
Yeah I agree. What I'm saying is: the activity in the photography section as a whole seems to have dropped by a huge margin in the past few years...... And the uptake of the competition is just not there..... And it's a shame..... But I understand your recommendation.....I just don't think there is enough interest these days on this AVF section of the forum.

Just saying.

Ice

Atmos

If you look at this month, day 7 and not one photo. There’s no advantage posting early or being the first knowing you only have one chance or might take a better picture later in the month.

Lots of us would have more than 2 pics to post given the opportunity. I might want an epic landscape or a cheeky Macro. At the moment you can’t have both.

Otherwise I might as well wait and wait and wait till the end of the month and see what everyone else has posted before deciding.

Let’s inject some life across the whole month.

Some months I get an early entry in, some (ok most) it’s last minute. However that’s more to do with what going on in my life than the competition rules. Perhaps simply changing it to allow up to 2 entries per user would achieve what you’re suggesting without the need for a 2-stage system? Who would monitor this? Also can’t speak for others, but I don’t really choose my entry based on what others have posted, or see any real advantage or disadvantage of posting early or late. Especially considering the comp is just for fun with nothing at stake.
Good suggestion though, fair play for thinking of ways to increase activity in this forum. :thumbsup:

Atmos

For people who are too busy, can’t be bothered or do t care then this rule change is not for you.

The rule change is for people who come here every day and want to see more entries. Who want to se more life in this competition. Who have more than one picture to post. For everyone else even with the rule change it does not affect you one bit. There are no negatives to the rule change only positives.

For people who are too busy, can’t be bothered or do t care then this rule change is not for you.

The rule change is for people who come here every day and want to see more entries. Who want to se more life in this competition. Who have more than one picture to post. For everyone else even with the rule change it does not affect you one bit. There are no negatives to the rule change only positives.

Maybe run a poll to see how many people support this idea, and also ask @Zone for input as he runs the comp.

Marika

Tbh, I have NEVER waited to post at the last minute to choose " a better picture than anyone else has entered ". Sometimes I post first, sometimes I post last. It's entirely down to what kind of month I have life wise and if the theme is something I get excited about or not. Sometimes I just 'get the shot' straight away and I'll post it. I never even considered waiting until everyone else has posted, so I can post mine which then would be somehow far more superior. Yes, last posted picture has won a few times, but so has first posted. I have been doing this for probably for 10 years now. Never have I ever gotten the feel, that anyone does that. It is a free to take part-competition, it's entirely voluntary and there's no exclusion process, except sometimes people enter photos that weren't taken on the said month and they get disqualified. It's not a big money prize, tbh, I have won a few times in the recent years and haven't claimed any kind of prize for it. I honestly don't think we need any more rules. There are more competitive photography competitions out there, if you want to take this far more seriously. Plus, Zone, who is our gracious voluntary host and moderator, I'm not sure he wants to double his workload with the competition. I sure don't want the job and I am just eternally grateful someone else is doing it for us :) I thank you for your input, but personally I don't want to change the format.

Atmos

It’s obvious nobody wants change and everyone thinks the competition is good as it is so mods please delete this thread.

snerkler

Bit late to the party but here's my thoughts.

I never enter a competition thinking "my photo is better than theirs", I can never predict which photo is going to win as others see things differently and see merit in things I don't and vice versa. I take a photo that I think fits the theme and if I like it I enter it. If I take one later that month that I think's better then that's just the way it goes and I enter it on the INV thread instead for others to look at.

Also, lately I've not been getting one entry in let alone two :laugh:

spannersatcx

I see and understand your point, and agree somewhat. Personally it can be difficult for me, as I work away from home and when I do get home there's a list of jobs waiting 😮, I try to get a day where I can go out and focus, pun intended, on getting a pic. I have no objection to being able to enter 2 with the first being in by a certain date.

1080 jawbreaker

good idea, just a shame im out of motivation. im enjoying the country side and the out doors just not through a view finder. Slashed time spend on line to and enjoying the break 👍

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom