Compensation claim for boy who took a clock to school

Which one of the following is closest to your opinion?

• Pure chancers out to make as much money as possible

Votes: 26 36.1%
  • The boy was wrongly arrested and deserves it. No amount of money can rectify the emotional scarring

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • That's way too much money but they should have some level of compensation

Votes: 27 37.5%
  • I knew this was fishy right from the beginning

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • The fame and support he has had should be compensation enough.

Votes: 13 18.1%

• Total voters

MrSossidge

Distinguished Member
Remember the boy who took a 'clock' to school as part of a science project and then got arrested as teachers thought it was a bomb.

Well, now they have moved to Qatar and they have had lawyers send letters to the School Board and to the City asking for $15,000,000 or they will file a law suit.

After the event the boy went on to receive huge amounts of support from the likes of Obama, Bill Gates etc and had offers of school placements at Ivy League establishments and other. It seems they moved to Qatar after accepting an offer from there.

Im not sure this sits very well with me. I'm interested to hear the views of others. I've created a poll aswell out of interest.

Ahmed Mohamed demands $15m compensation and written apology for homemade clock arrest

qwerty321

This surprised me as the family seem quite humble and down to earth. I wonder if this is the lawyers speaking and coming in high and hoping to be met in the middle. That and it's America.

Toko Black

In Memoriam
Deserves some compensation / school needs to be fined. The school and the police were out of order and a clear message needs to be sent ..... but the amount of money needs to be within reason also.

It's quite possible such big numbers are being banded about is down to the fact that it's the US ... and their compensation culture/ legal system seems to be geared up around silly numbers.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
This thread has got that 'here we go again' vibe :)

krish

Distinguished Member
I totally accept that the school and authorities acted stupidly and ignorantly, but thought and still believe it was fishy from the beginning and they were being played/scammed by Clock Boy's father, a rather clever and ambitious Sudanese political operator. First he turned his son into the new Malala, now he's trying to profit beyond reason from the incident, probably decided against going for a Nobel.

weaponx031277

Smells very fishy.

Didn't the lad and his dad meet the Sudanese President as well, someone who isn't exactly well known for his kind compassion and human rights.

Desmo

Distinguished Member
I knocked Leroy's MTV award off the top of his TV once when playing on his games console.

/true story.

MrSossidge

Distinguished Member
Im not really sure where I sit on this at all. It all seems a bit fishy from the off and the amount of fame and support they received and also reading a comment from the boy himself where he said 'I'm glad this has happened to me' seemed to say to me that the boy wasn't traumatized and was relishing the amount of attention. I think $15 million is an extraordinary amount of money undeserving of what happened. I also think that the fact that they have demanded this amount of money or they will file a lawsuit is tantamount to blackmail and seems to be uncharacteristic of what we saw the family to be in the first place.

Toko Black

In Memoriam
I totally accept that the school and authorities acted stupidly and ignorantly, but thought and still believe it was fishy from the beginning and they were being played/scammed by Clock Boy's father, a rather clever and ambitious Sudanese political operator. First he turned his son into the new Malala, now he's trying to profit beyond reason from the incident, probably decided against going for a Nobel.
Personally, I am only really bothered about the reaction of the school and the police.

balidey

Distinguished Member
Unless I am missing something, didn't the school and police react in the most sensible fashion?
A student brings in an item that 'does' look suspicious. It was thought it could be an explosive device, so they took the appropriate action.
If this was the opposite way round but turned out it was a bomb, and if no action was taken then the school and police would still be criticised for taking the wrong action.
We must remember that the USA has a long running history of kids taking in items designed to kill and murdering dozens of people. This is not a one off, it happens all too regularly. If I was in the schools or police position I like to think I would have acted in the same way.

Interesting article above about how the kid is now accused of getting an alarm clock, taking bits out and putting them in a case. Perhaps if he was intelligent and had made his own clock it would look less like a bomb.

Doug the D

I hate the idea of compensation being used in such a case. IMO, compensation should be paid out to people who lose money (whether immedietely, or future earnings), due to the actions of another (person, company, government agency).

What exactly has this young lad lost? He was treated wrongly, but as @balidey pointed out above, it was a 'damned if they do, damned if they don't' situation, as far as the local authorities were concerned.

Compensation is a ridiculous concept in this case, unless it can be proven that he'll lose income due to this incident - in fact, offers of places at top universities makes it seem unlikely that he'll be going without in the future...

balidey

Distinguished Member
Just re-reading the original BBC article.
They refer to him as '14 year old Muslim boy', great journalism there, highlight his religion when its not relevant.
The BBC story shows a photo of his arrest, one of the police officers is black. But no mention of this in the story. I think journalist have to highlight one person based on their race, religion or ethnicity. But you can't label two people in the same story.
If it wasn't Ahmed being arrested, but perhaps Chuck Johnson from Hicksville Alabama, by the same police officer then I think the story would have been reported in slightly different way.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
If it wasn't Ahmed being arrested, but perhaps Chuck Johnson from Hicksville Alabama, by the same police officer then I think the story would have been reported in slightly different way.
Well that's a good question - would 'Chuck Johnson' have been arrested in the first place?

Last edited:

Jamie

Distinguished Member
Just re-reading the original BBC article.
They refer to him as '14 year old Muslim boy', great journalism there, highlight his religion when its not relevant.
The BBC story shows a photo of his arrest, one of the police officers is black. But no mention of this in the story. I think journalist have to highlight one person based on their race, religion or ethnicity. But you can't label two people in the same story.
I disagree that him being Muslim isn't relevant, in fact you said so yourself as to why.

hippo99

Distinguished Member
Last edited:

ldoodle

Distinguished Member
And it's probably that that's given him the backing of all those people. If Obama came out and said he's taking the piss (which he is), he'd be labelled a racist.

Clearly something is due, but drop off a at least 4 zero's. I got smashed off my push bike last year - bike destroyed and some injury. That's a zillion times worse than just being arrested but only got £3.7K. It's not like he was beaten to a pulp in custody.

Might go back and ask for £37 million. Put it into perspective and be realistic.

Last edited:

ldoodle

Distinguished Member
7 "Chuck Johnson's" have & didn't get handcuffed & suspended from school
7 Kids Not Named Mohamed Who Brought Homemade Clocks to School And Didn't Get Arrested
(Only the last one sounds like it could be confused with a real bomb- although some of the ones with liquid might look dodgy depending what they actually looked like)
Does the lad in this thread's clock look anywhere near like a bomb? Do the 7 you mentioned look anywhere near like a bomb?

Just saying that theirs might have looked terrible compared to this one?

hippo99

Distinguished Member
Does the lad in this thread's clock look anywhere near like a bomb? Do the 7 you mentioned look anywhere near like a bomb?

Just saying that theirs might have looked terrible compared to this one?
No idea, they didn't show any pics of the other clocks in that article.
What does a homemade bomb look like anyway? Couldn't a terrorist deliberately make their bomb look terrible as well?
I assume the 7 clocks at a minimum still had a clock face/LED display & connected with wires.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More

Latest News

Humax launches AURA 4K Freeview Play Recorder
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Fyne Audio adds new standmounts to F1 speaker range
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Mark Levinson expands 5000 Series with amplifiers and players
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 14th October 2020
  • By Phil Hinton