1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compeletely Green On Plasma Asks:

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Hawkis, Aug 7, 2004.

1. Hawkis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    What are the drawbacks (if any) of plasma, other than supposed 'inferior' (can't think of a more suitable word) picture quality to CRT?
    I'm considering a 42" plasma but have heard that the lamps in them last for only 2000 hours. Surely this can't be right? 2000 hours in terms of lamp-life is very short these days with the lamp technology that exists. I realise that they are not your 'normal' lamps as used in lighting but the technology is basically the same for all lamps.
    So basically, what I really need to know is:
    What sort of life expectancy should I expect?
    Should I buy an extended warranty from the retailer?
    Where to buy? Richer Sounds seem to have some good deals at the mo.
    How little can I spend and still get best quality?
    How easy are they to install? Are any special skills required?
    Do I need a TV tuner? I have Sky+ and do not use an aerial or cable, Sky is my only medium for TV as I refuse to pay £2.30 to NTL a month for channels I already have!

Any advice much appreciated.

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Jul 13, 2000
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Living in Surrey, covering UK!
    What sort of life expectancy. 20,000+ hrs until unit is outputting half the amount of light it did when new. So basically a LONG time. Plasma's do not use lamps. Anyone who told you that is confused......Rear projection TV's may use lamps but even then not all of them do.

Extended warranty. Well some folk swear by them. I have found electrical devices generally to be reliable with any faults usually occuring within manufacturers warranty period.

Where to buy. I owuld buy from a supplier who can actually give advise on how to get best image quality out of the device and who can give you good back up and service should things go wrong. Someone who understood current models and technolgies and what may or may not be relevant for your needs now and in the future.

Little for best....mmm....You need to go view a few units yourself to find out what the minimum image qualty is that you are willing to put up with. One mans meat is anothers poison etc....

Installation can be no harder that a normal TV.

If you have Skyplus then you will very likely be able to plug it direct in to the plasma of your choice by using a suitable cable.

Units to try and view would be Pioneer, Panasonic, Fujitsu, Hitatchi. These are main contenders around these parts. My own preference is for first two manufacturers.

Calling a few of the forum sponsors for a chat and some advice might prove enlightening as well