1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

compatible speakers for the arcam av8/p7

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by zamwessell, Sep 14, 2003.

Tags:
  1. zamwessell

zamwessell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    I am looking to buy an Arcam av8/p7 combo and i think i should upgrade my front floorstanding speakers,rear surrounds and maybe even my sub.I have looked at the new Monitor Audio Bronze B6 series.Would these be up to the job? I have also looked at Splendor floorstanders.I am not sure which would be the best rear surround speakers at all.The sub i have is an old REL Q-Bass.Should i replace that too?

2. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    You need some pretty serious speakers to do that combination justice. I should think about a B&W Nautilus 803/HTM1/805 combination, or maybe a bunch of B&W Signature 805s if they're more to your taste.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    You are intending to spend £5,500 on an amplifier and £900 on a set of five speakers which to my mind is seriously out of kilter. The REL Q Bass was an excellent subwoofer in it's day but unfortunately that day has long gone.

If you started again with a total budget of £7,000 which is what you seem to be doing, I would split it up in a very different manner to you and spend far less on the amp and far more on the speakers including the subwoofer.

The exact split would depend on the size of room you have, your division of requirement between home cinema and music and what type of music you listen to.

4. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agree with what both nic & Ian have said. I went down this route a few months ago and the Arcam pair really shine with good speakers.

There is a post by Tracey in this forum who asked the same question (it may be in the amp section), she basicallywas going to keep her Missions but ended up upgrading to some PMC's.

Try reading this thread
    http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?...ms/showthread.php?s=&postid=706281#post706281

Regards
    John

5. zamwessell

zamwessell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    Ok thanks for the advice.I shal have a re-think about everything.

6. zamwessell

zamwessell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    OK.anyone know good places to get B&W speakers from?

7. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. zamwessell

zamwessell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
  9. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Monitor Audio is a good shout but you should be looking at the Silver range as a minimum and ideally the Gold Reference (GR) range.

You can pick up the Gold Ref's at good prices ex-dem or second hand - I recently bought a pair of £800 GR10 standmounts second hand for £400 and got the £500 GR centre for £375 ex-dem. All I need now is the matching Gold Ref bi/dipole rears - they retail at £900 so I'll be after an ex-dem pair for a more sensible price.

Anyway - a set of Gold Refs would I'm sure sound superb with your classy processor/power amp. Add to that a decent subwoofer (plenty of choice) and you'd have a very nice system indeed.

Matt.

10. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    Can I just disagree. Speakers only do what they are told. I presume you heard the AV8P7 combo with something? Why not buy what you heard that made you want to invest in the amps in first place.

If it is a cost thing then work towards getting our dream system. Perhaps buy s/h speakers to start. You will probably be able to sell them for what you paid when you have funds for what you actually want.

Gordon

11. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Gordon I heard the AV8/P7 with the PMC's and loved it, for me they are perfect, small but pack a real punch, the bass is quite amazing for small speakers, I'm going for the smaller DB1's for rears as I personaly don't like huge rear speakers, and of course I'll be replacing my sub, I had a demo with an REL Storm which sounded great to me. Might be worth considering PMC?

12. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But if they can only do have of what they are told, you will only hear half :devil:

13. zamwessell

zamwessell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    i phoned a dealer to ask for prices on Kef Reference 203 and B&W Nautilus speakers and he said the Arcam combo is not powerful enough to drive these speakers.He did not think they were a good match.I respect your opinions more than his.What do you all think?

14. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    I would disagree with that.

15. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The Nautilus range certainly do require top-notch power amps. Even the lesser CDM range do. I heard the CDM-1NTs driven by a NAD C370 (quite a powerful amp, but decidedly "midrange") and the bass was soft and undefined. I later heard them with a high-end Bonnec power amp and the sound was absolutely transformed.

That said, I have no experience of the Arcam P7, so it may well be good enough. It's probably worth a demo, though.

Dunc

16. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The P7 will definitely drive the Kef 203's, it doesn't even break sweat

Regards
    John

17. zamwessell

zamwessell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    Thanks John.I was hoping you would reply.The dealer told me he came to this conclusion after talking to the KEF rep in his store who just 'happened' to come into the store after i had phoned.I really fancy the Kef 203s after noticing you had them in your set up.

18. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Zamwessell,
    There should be plenty of dealers that will give you a demo of these two together. I must say in this price range there are some really superb speakers from Kef, B&W, PMC, Wilson Benesch etc.

I would suggest if you are going to pay this kind of money get to hear them all to see what is to your tastes, especally if you can in your own home, the accoustics of your own listening environment will be a lot different to that of your dealer.

For me it was the Kef's not only do they look superb (WAF) but they sound fantastic especally in the detail area. I found that they blend in nicely with the 202c centre speaker and make the front soundsatge for HC so much wider and deeper, with incredible clarity.

I think there are a number of others on this forum that have the 203's but as I said get to listen to the others contenders as well as they might suit you more.

Regards
    John