• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

compatible case fans?

gop

Hi, im looking to replace a front case fan thats whirring a bit, and also put an exhaust fan at the back of my chassis. So im unsure of the proper connection on my mobo and psu that will work.

My mobo is:M52L-SP3 GIGABYTE
PSU:COSAIR VX 550WATT

The front case fan is connected to 4 pin molex, the only other fan connected is the cpu fan.

can someone advice me on the types of connectors i can use?

G

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
The Gigabyte website lists your motherboard as having a second fan header but doesn't say what type it is so you'll need to count the pins yourself. They'll work either way (4 pin fans in a 3 pin socket and 3 pin fans in a 4 pin socket), although whether you get speed control depends on what the motherboard supports (fans will run at full speed if it's not supported).

The second fan will have to connect directly to the power supply as you're doing now. Molex/4-pin Peripheral connectors are still the most common type.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom