• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Compatibility

C

caarlyon

Hi this may be a simple question to those I am reading on here, but I really need the answer.
I would like to send some dvd's to family in the UK from U.S.A., would they play on the equipment over there? I know the video cassettes wouldn't, and am wondering if there is also a difference in the dvd's. I have been able to send cd's made on my computer with no trouble, but I guess I am talking about different mediums here.

Sorry to be a bit thick. Thanks for a response.:lease:

madhouse

Established Member
certainly - most US dvds have region code 1 - these will only play over here if the dvd player is region free (as in Europe our players are set to accept region code 2)- a lot of players can be set to region free with codes you can enter via the remote control. Others can be updated with alternative firmware, which can usually be loaded via CD.

I'd try and find out which player the person in the UK has - then check this site - VideoHelp.com - Forum, Guides, Tools and hardware lists under DVD hacks. You'll be able to see if there is alternative firmware available.

Also - once the dvd plays it can be important if a standard CRT TV is being used of a plasma or lcd. Plasmas and lcds will most likely take the NTSC signal without any problems. Older TVs may have a bit of a problem. My old Sony dvd player for example converted NTSC to a PAL 60 signal, which a standard TV could handle.

Good luck,

Simon

PS - some dvds, often music and concerts, have region code 0 - this plays on any machine. Just check the back of the dvd cover

Last edited:
C

caarlyon

Hi Simon thanks very much for your advice. I will check with them about their player before I buy the dvd's and I will look to see if they have region 0 copies. Thanks also for the website. Best regards.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom