Compatibility Problem: Toshiba vs Pioneer

denbighG

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have a Toshiba SD-340E player, which seems fine most of the time**, and have just given myself an unbirthday present of a Pioneer DVR-433H recorder. The recorder is great, except that my first offering of a 'Video Mode' dvd from the Pioneer to play on the Toshiba - the Tosh doesnt seem to see the dvd at all. LOADing, then nought.

Any ideas? Has anyone come across these two as incompatible?

**Once in a while, I have had to retry (maybe twice at worst) on a commercial dvd before it loaded and 'fired-up' into the opening menu.

Video mode DVDs usually have to be finalised to be readable in recorders other than the one that wrote them.
But unfinalised disks are often OK in other machines of the same make.
Hence Pioneer / Toshiba problem if your DVD was unfinalised.

If you had finalised the DVD, no ideas except Tosh possibly sensitive to the media type you recorded on.
There's quite a lot of discussion on here about different media types and makes of recorder

eddyad said:
Video mode DVDs usually have to be finalised to be readable in recorders other than the one that wrote them.
But unfinalised disks are often OK in other machines of the same make.
Hence Pioneer / Toshiba problem if your DVD was unfinalised.

If you had finalised the DVD, no ideas except Tosh possibly sensitive to the media type you recorded on.
There's quite a lot of discussion on here about different media types and makes of recorder
Yes, I had finalised the DVD. It was a DVD-R x4. Perhaps try same disc from different manufacturer, you think?? Pity no other replies to this... I must be alone with this combination. :rolleyes:

denbighG said:
Yes, I had finalised the DVD. It was a DVD-R x4. Perhaps try same disc from different manufacturer, you think?? Pity no other replies to this... I must be alone with this combination. :rolleyes:

I have a toshiba 340 and used to have a Pioneer 420, now I have a 630 and every single recording I have ever made works perfectly with the Toshiba. Can only think that maybe its the media you are using. I use Ridisc and Datawrite Titanium.

anna the dub said:
I have a toshiba 340 and used to have a Pioneer 420, now I have a 630 and every single recording I have ever made works perfectly with the Toshiba. Can only think that maybe its the media you are using. I use Ridisc and Datawrite Titanium.
What 'speed' are these discs. I am using 4x.

I have had a response from Toshiba, they say the 340 should be able to read any DVD-R. But I also have a Toshiba SD245E, which is on the French market, and that can read the discs fine - so it is something in the 340. Will come back when I have resolved it.

How about CD-RW discs. Are these readable on the Toshiba 340??

denbighG said:
What 'speed' are these discs. I am using 4x.

I have had a response from Toshiba, they say the 340 should be able to read any DVD-R. But I also have a Toshiba SD245E, which is on the French market, and that can read the discs fine - so it is something in the 340. Will come back when I have resolved it.

How about CD-RW discs. Are these readable on the Toshiba 340??

I have used 2x, 4x and 8x discs. Have recorded about a hundred and every one of them has played without any playback issues whatsoever. I have never had a coaster. Both CD-Rs and CD-RWs work perfectly as well.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom