compatibility of PVRs and IDTVs

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by chris webb, May 9, 2005.

Tags:
  1. chris webb

chris webb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 28inch Integral Digital Sony TV giving the extra Freeview channels.I want to get a PVR. Do I need one with 2 tuners or can I use the IDTV tuner so that I can record from one digital channel whilst watching another digital channel. At present if I record digitally onto the VCR I cannot watch another digital channel. :lease:

2. tichtich

tichtich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    No, you don't need a 2-tuner PVR. You can watch one digital channel on your IDTV while the PVR records another one.

I'm in a similar position, as I have a Panasonic IDTV and I'm planning to buy a PVR soon. But I'm definitely going to buy a 2-tuner model. Here are my reasons:

1. To make the most out of a PVR I aim to record almost everything I watch, and rarely watch anything live. At the start of the week, I'll go through the EPG, selecting everything I want to see for the next week; then I can just watch what I want when I want, and not be tied to the broadcasting schedule at all. For this, I need to be able to record two channels at once, for when I want two programmes that are on at the same time.

2. Most of the time I'll just be using the TV for its screen, and not using its tuner at all. After switching the TV on, I can put away its remote and just use the PVR's remote. And I'll only be interacting with one user interface, i.e. the PVR's and not the TV's. That will make things neater and simpler. (I'll make sure I buy a PVR which lets you control the volume; otherwise I'd still need the TV's remote for adjusting volume.)

3. There may be times when I want to record two channels and watch another one live! (I guess you could record one on your VCR, but I doubt you'll want to go back to VCR/analogue recording once you've got used to a PVR.)

Also, the only single-tuner PVR I know of (the Humax 8000) has a serious limitation in that you can't record one programme while playing back a different one.

The short answer is that, if you just want a superior replacement for your VCR, a single-tuner PVR would be fine. But, if you want to get the full benefit of a PVR, go for a 2-tuner model. At present I'm deciding between the Topfield (expensive) or the Inverto (not available for a few more weeks). Or maybe I'll wait, since all the Freeview PVRs currently available have a few problems and limitations. But I've been waiting 18 months already... ;-)

3. chris webb

chris webb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tich,tich
    Thanks for the response.Certainly given me food for thought on the best way to utilise the digital tuners.I agree 2 tuners makes sense to get the best out of the system. Waiting to see how the Freeview PVRs progress.