1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compatibility of NAD and Monitor Audio

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Matther54, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Matther54

Matther54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to buy a new hifi system. I've demo'd a few things but the NAD C320BEE amp and C521BEE have caught my eye together with Monitor Audio's Silver S1s (or possibly S2s?). My room is probably medium sized (18ft x 9ft and 9ft high) and I was wondering whether splashing out for some floorstanders (AE evo3s for budget or maybe MA S6's) might be a better option.

Actually what I really wanted to know was whether the NAD components and the Monitor Audio speakers will work well together, and if anyone knows of a shop that actually sells both brands so that I can actually go in and have a listen to them.

(Also would it be worthwhile going for the more powerful C521CT amp.. 80 watts rather than 50, although the S1's are rated at 90dB/W/m so they shouldn't be too hard to drive... in theory)

Any thoughts are appreciated.

2. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Matther,
    I can't say anything about the NAD equipment but I can say that the MA's are an easy drive for most amps.
    There sound tends to be very detailed and quite warm. Some may interpret the detail as brightness. I had MA's for a few years and tried them with a lot of different equipment. (NAD not being one of them!) I didn't really find anything that sounded dreadful. Naim was about the worst.
    All in all excellent build quality and a nice sound.
    Before you commit to buy, shop around. Second hand will get you a lot more for your budget.
    IMHO I think Exposure and MA sound excellent together but you may hate the overall sound.
    Which area of th Country are you in?

3. Matther54

Matther54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks alot! I'm in cambridge so nowhere too remote. Know anywhere reputable sells second hand equipment.. I can't say I'm really up for buying things off ebay..

cheers,
    Matt

4. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    You could try this it's a lot of Classified ads. http://www.audiophilecandy.com/home.asp
    Or the classifieds section on this forum.
    Amplifiers tend to be a safe bet second hand as there is little to go wrong with them.
    CD players can be a bit questionable. If your worried try the local hi fi dealers for second hand or EX Dem with a warranty.
    Sorry I can't help you with any dealers.

5. Lostinapc

Lostinapc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i've got the NAD C542 with the AE floorstanders, it sounds incredibly great to my ears but i have nothing to compare it with! This is the most expensive setup i've ever heard and you'd all call it budget! hehe :p

6. Markie Boy

Markie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Perth, Western Australia (Originally Ireland)
    Ratings:
    +226
    The MA speakers work really really well with the NAD, but it might be a good exercise if you can to listen to the same speakers with the Cambridge Audio gear (prob 540A/540C combo) - then decide which sounds better. I own NAD gear but if I was going for these speakers I would prob match it with the CA gear - more refined and improved channel separation. However we are talking subtle differences here. Then again, if you're thinking about jumping up to the C352CT amplifier then I would liean back to the NAD again!!! Oh decisions decisions :)