Compatibility of current and previous Panasonic Blu-ray recorders

AV Tyro

Novice Member
I'm looking for advice on compatibility between current and previous Panasonic Blu-ray recorders, concentrating on a couple of specific models. I apologise in advance if this question has been asked and answered before on this forum, but if so I haven't been able to spot it. I've had a Panasonic DMR-BW880 Blu-ray disc recorder for many many years, and it's still wonderful! It has never let me down, and feels like an old friend. I've created numerous recordings with it on Blu-ray discs, copying from the hard disk and always using high-speed mode and "original quality". This is the setting that allows three to five typical HD movies to fit on a single Blu-ray 25GB BD-RE disc.

I'm conscious that however wonderful it is, my old Panasonic machine won't last forever, so to stay ahead of the game I'm tempted to buy the modern equivalent, the DMR-BWT850EB. You've probably guessed my question: will this new machine be able play the Panasonic proprietary-format Blu-ray recordings I've made with my existing recorder? I'm guessing the answer is yes, but the new model is extremely expensive (nearly £500), and I'm rather reluctant to make such a major investment on the basis of hope alone! Can anyone give me a definitive answer about this? I've read comments that suggest the new machine probably WILL play my existing discs, but I haven't seen any reports from users who are completely certain that it will. I would really appreciate some informed advice on this.

I suppose a related question is whether Panasonic-format Blu-ray recordings made on the new machine will play on the old one.

Thanks so much to anyone who can help!

Manu1544

Standard Member
I am the happy owner of both a BW780 (similar version to the BW880 but with a smaller HDD capacity) and a BWT850EB.
I can confirm that the Blu-ray recordings made in DR mode on either machine can be read by the other.

AV Tyro

Novice Member
I am the happy owner of both a BW780 (similar version to the BW880 but with a smaller HDD capacity) and a BWT850EB.
I can confirm that the Blu-ray recordings made in DR mode on either machine can be read by the other.
Brilliant! Thanks for this priceless bit of information. A complete answer. There's nothing better than hands-on experience from someone who's been there and done it. I really appreciate you taking the time to reply. Now all I have to do is think about that £479...! I think I'll probably go for it.

pevers3

Standard Member
On that same note it is not possible with the external hard drive as I have found they have to be re-registered to each machine which has meant I have wiped a lot of video unless you know of a way t get around this. also the dvd have to be finalised to re-play although the blu ray BD-R cannot be

pevers3

Standard Member
I have always used the scart to record with and now the new machine have lost them I am reluctant to buy a new model, interested to know what these films were recorded from and how

Manu1544

Standard Member
I have always used the scart to record with and now the new machine have lost them I am reluctant to buy a new model, interested to know what these films were recorded from and how
My recordings never used the scart as I did not require it (no sky). They were purely from the Freeview channels received via the aerial in DR mode.

AV Tyro

Novice Member
As the OP in this thread, I've been interested in the various comments raised, and have a supplementary question to ask. Although my reason for buying the current Panasonic DMR-BWT850EB would be to record from Freeview in DR mode, I do occasionally use the SCART input on my old DMR-BW880 in order to record stuff from a VHS player (usually old VHS-C tapes) and digitise the content. Am I right in thinking there is no input at all on the DMR-BWT850EB, so it would be impossible to use it in the same way (i.e. to capture VHS content)? Thanks again for any feedback!

pevers3

Standard Member
Understand now that they were recorded directly just as I do then burn to blu ray or move them onto an external usb hard drive which I have noticed improve the quality somehow buy the. Theses hard drives are then tied tk that particular machine
As the OP in this thread, I've been interested in the various comments raised, and have a supplementary question to ask. Although my reason for buying the current Panasonic DMR-BWT850EB would be to record from Freeview in DR mode, I do occasionally use the SCART input on my old DMR-BW880 in order to record stuff from a VHS player (usually old VHS-C tapes) and digitise the content. Am I right in thinking there is no input at all on the DMR-BWT850EB, so it would be impossible to use it in the same way (i.e. to capture VHS content)? Thanks again for any feedback!
i will have the same problem has anyone tried to use those converters hdmi to scart, there is a video of s guy using this to his tv but no-idea whether this would work on a z Panasonic recorder but according to this video it convert ok

pevers3

Standard Member
Understand now that they were recorded directly just as I do then burn to blu ray or move them onto an external usb hard drive which I have noticed improve the quality somehow buy the. Theses hard drives are then tied tk that particular machine

i will have the same problem has anyone tried to use those converters hdmi to scart, there is a video of s guy using this to his tv but no-idea whether this would work on a z Panasonic recorder but according to this video it convert ok

AV Tyro

Novice Member
I'm fumbling to post this reply in the right place, and to quote what I want from this thread. Apologies for that. I'm intrigued by the following post:

"i will have the same problem has anyone tried to use those converters hdmi to scart, there is a video of s guy using this to his tv but no-idea whether this would work on a z Panasonic recorder but according to this video it convert ok"

pevers3, I understand your reluctance to spend time on this, so I don't mean to hassle. I'm just wondering if when you have time, you (or anyone else) could provide a clue as to what video you're talking about, and how one would input VHS content INTO the new Panasonic machine using an HDMI to SCART converter (strictly it would be SCART to HDMI), given that there doesn't seem to be an HDMI input capability on the Panasonic.

I guess this will have to wait until after Christmas now! I hope everyone has a good one.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
how one would input VHS content INTO the new Panasonic machine using an HDMI to SCART converter (strictly it would be SCART to HDMI), given that there doesn't seem to be an HDMI input capability on the Panasonic.
Exactly, it cannot be done.

AV Tyro

Novice Member
Exactly, it cannot be done.
Fair enough - that's what I thought. I was just getting a sense from some comments that there was some weird and wonderful way round this. But in the end I suppose hard reality is probably inescapable!

pevers3

Standard Member
I'm fumbling to post this reply in the right place, and to quote what I want from this thread. Apologies for that. I'm intrigued by the following post:

"i will have the same problem has anyone tried to use those converters hdmi to scart, there is a video of s guy using this to his tv but no-idea whether this would work on a z Panasonic recorder but according to this video it convert ok"

pevers3, I understand your reluctance to spend time on this, so I don't mean to hassle. I'm just wondering if when you have time, you (or anyone else) could provide a clue as to what video you're talking about, and how one would input VHS content INTO the new Panasonic machine using an HDMI to SCART converter (strictly it would be SCART to HDMI), given that there doesn't seem to be an HDMI input capability on the Panasonic.

I guess this will have to wait until after Christmas now! I hope everyone has a good one.
I'm looking for advice on compatibility between current and previous Panasonic Blu-ray recorders, concentrating on a couple of specific models. I apologise in advance if this question has been asked and answered before on this forum, but if so I haven't been able to spot it. I've had a Panasonic DMR-BW880 Blu-ray disc recorder for many many years, and it's still wonderful! It has never let me down, and feels like an old friend. I've created numerous recordings with it on Blu-ray discs, copying from the hard disk and always using high-speed mode and "original quality". This is the setting that allows three to five typical HD movies to fit on a single Blu-ray 25GB BD-RE disc.

I'm conscious that however wonderful it is, my old Panasonic machine won't last forever, so to stay ahead of the game I'm tempted to buy the modern equivalent, the DMR-BWT850EB. You've probably guessed my question: will this new machine be able play the Panasonic proprietary-format Blu-ray recordings I've made with my existing recorder? I'm guessing the answer is yes, but the new model is extremely expensive (nearly £500), and I'm rather reluctant to make such a major investment on the basis of hope alone! Can anyone give me a definitive answer about this? I've read comments that suggest the new machine probably WILL play my existing discs, but I haven't seen any reports from users who are completely certain that it will. I would really appreciate some informed advice on this.

I suppose a related question is whether Panasonic-format Blu-ray recordings made on the new machine will play on the old one.

H lol Thanks so much to anyone who can help!
Hi, Just noticed this. I was referring to a long time ago when hdmi was not around, scarts were the connectivity used then I think and you needed 2 recorders and several leads

Jonathonp

Hi,
With regard to getting Hdd content off a Blueray Recorder which will no longer write to BD.
I recently had the exact problem from my 10 Yr old 720.
Here is how I overcame the problem.
It is very easy to open up the unit and get the BD drive out.
I aquired a replacement BD unit drive making sure that it was the exact model as marked on the outside - VXY2147 in this case, and refitted it to the recorder.
It worked perfectly and was able to copy Hdd to BD as before.
The laser had more than likely failed.
The only drawback is getting the exact unit as they vary a bit unit to unit and are hard to find.
It might be possible to get online, Ebay, old spares unit, borrow?
Jon

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom