Compatablity of (HDCP) HDMI DVD output to DVI PJ

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Starkiller, May 11, 2005.

1. Starkiller

Starkiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Im looking a 2 DVD players Arcam 79 and the Denon 3910 to conect to my existing themescene H56

I wanted to connect digtally via DVI or HDMI with dvi convertor

The PJ is capable of HDTV, but ive been advised that both the 79 & 3910 players use HDCP output(if i understand this correctly) and is not compatable with the DVI input on the themescene.

Can this be fixed or worked arround so i can get a digtal signal in to my PJ?
    :lease:

2. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    If your Themesecene does not have HDCP there is no workaround - sorry. HDCP is a copy protection algorithm which is mandatory on the HDMI or DVI outputs of DVD players. You could talk to the PJ maker to see if they can help; it's very unlikely but you never know.

Otherwise use the component input of the PJ; it will still give a very decent picture from either of these DVD players.

John Dawson (Arcam)

3. Starkiller

Starkiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the reply, not what i wanted to hear but least i know.

I will ask my retailer if the H56 can be "flash upgraded" or modified, my guess is no, but its worth asking.

I guess i will have to go componet

Its a shame when copy protection gets in the way of quality. Im sure if someone wanted to copy a disk they would just use a PC.

4. Phil Harris

Phil Harris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Might be a silly question, but I shall ask it anyway....
    Is the HDCP protection applied to all material played, or only to material with it built in?
    For instance, I have a TV with a DVI input, if I was to buy an HDMI DVD player, would I be able to play DVD's from my current collection, none of which have any protection on them?
    I would be interested to use a purely digital interface between DVD and TV, so should I look for a player where the HDCP can be turned off (Samsung 745)?
    Thanks in anticipation...
    Phil.

5. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    HDCP is usually applied when the DVD "asks" for copy protection to be applied, so your home movies should work OK with a non-HDCP DVI connection. Under these circumstances Macrovision analogue copy protection is also usually turned off.

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)

6. Starkiller

Starkiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    John

This HDCP is fustrating, having spent £3000 on a PJ and screen last year and now needing to upgrade cuz its not got the industrys "lastest brain wave" is pretty rough.

Im reluctant to spend £1000 on dvd player and not be able to uses its main feature.

reading thu your 79's manual, I see there is a option to switch Output priorty to Analogue from HDMI/DVI, if this was selected can you use a hdmi/dvi lead but get an analogue signal?

Dave

7. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    There are other DVD players around where the HDCP can be turned off, so unless you have your heart set on the Arcam or Denon then there are alternatives...PJ :)

8. Starkiller

Starkiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I had got my heart set on the arcam(I wanted a matched pair with the AV300 amp), but im open to suggestions.

can you say what the Alternatives are, i guess one is in your signature