1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compatablity of (HDCP) HDMI DVD output to DVI PJ

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Starkiller, May 11, 2005.

1. Starkiller

Starkiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Im looking a 2 DVD players Arcam 79 and the Denon 3910 to conect to my existing themescene H56

I wanted to connect digtally via DVI or HDMI with dvi convertor

The PJ is capable of HDTV, but ive been advised that both the 79 & 3910 players use HDCP output(if i understand this correctly) and is not compatable with the DVI input on the themescene.

Can this be fixed or worked arround so i can get a digtal signal in to my PJ?
    :lease:

2. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    If your Themesecene does not have HDCP there is no workaround - sorry. HDCP is a copy protection algorithm which is mandatory on the HDMI or DVI outputs of DVD players. You could talk to the PJ maker to see if they can help; it's very unlikely but you never know.

Otherwise use the component input of the PJ; it will still give a very decent picture from either of these DVD players.

John Dawson (Arcam)

3. Starkiller

Starkiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the reply, not what i wanted to hear but least i know.

I will ask my retailer if the H56 can be "flash upgraded" or modified, my guess is no, but its worth asking.

I guess i will have to go componet

Its a shame when copy protection gets in the way of quality. Im sure if someone wanted to copy a disk they would just use a PC.

4. Phil Harris

Phil Harris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Might be a silly question, but I shall ask it anyway....
    Is the HDCP protection applied to all material played, or only to material with it built in?
    For instance, I have a TV with a DVI input, if I was to buy an HDMI DVD player, would I be able to play DVD's from my current collection, none of which have any protection on them?
    I would be interested to use a purely digital interface between DVD and TV, so should I look for a player where the HDCP can be turned off (Samsung 745)?
    Thanks in anticipation...
    Phil.

5. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    HDCP is usually applied when the DVD "asks" for copy protection to be applied, so your home movies should work OK with a non-HDCP DVI connection. Under these circumstances Macrovision analogue copy protection is also usually turned off.

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)

6. Starkiller

Starkiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    John

This HDCP is fustrating, having spent £3000 on a PJ and screen last year and now needing to upgrade cuz its not got the industrys "lastest brain wave" is pretty rough.

Im reluctant to spend £1000 on dvd player and not be able to uses its main feature.

reading thu your 79's manual, I see there is a option to switch Output priorty to Analogue from HDMI/DVI, if this was selected can you use a hdmi/dvi lead but get an analogue signal?

Dave

7. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    There are other DVD players around where the HDCP can be turned off, so unless you have your heart set on the Arcam or Denon then there are alternatives...PJ :)

8. Starkiller

Starkiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I had got my heart set on the arcam(I wanted a matched pair with the AV300 amp), but im open to suggestions.

can you say what the Alternatives are, i guess one is in your signature