1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compatability questions about buying in usa, but living in Britain

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by stuart curran, Jan 18, 2002.

1. stuart curran

stuart curran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking at buying either a Sony TRV30 or JVC GR-DVP3 digital video camera, can any one tell me what I should look out for such as 'Pal'.
    Thanks alot.

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,907
    There are (at least) three things that might be wrong with a camcorder bought out of country.

1: Video standard. Needs to be PAL, otherwise you won't be able to edit off onto a VCR, and may not be able to watch on your TV. - unless the TV and/or VCR are multistandard (ie NTSC capable). Even if the VCR is multistandard, in all probability, any NTSC edited tapes you produce won't be playable on your friends/families' machines.

2) Mains voltage. Ours is 230; USA is 110. You will require a multivoltage, or UK/Europe spec power supply in order to recharge the batteries etc.

3) RF converter. Most camcorders (I think) come with an RF modulator that allows you to connect to the aerial socket on the TV. If you need this, it must be to the UK broadcast standard (which, from memory, is PAL-I). Not important if you don't intend to use RF.