1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compatability issues with playback of dvd-r recordings

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by fuzzybee, Sep 26, 2005.

1. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    I am having some compatability problems i hope you might be able to help me with, i recently bought a Panasonic DMR-ES10 dvd recorder which i am very happy with.
    I bought it to mainly archive my Doctor Who video collection and various programes recorded on Sky+ . I have done both succcessfully however i have problems when trying to play the recordings on my Pioneer DV-565A standalone dvd player, the player cannot read the discs
    I have recorded from vhs onto a Sony DVD-R 120min 1x-8 compatible disc and a sky+ recording onto a Traxdata DVD-R 8x 120min, i have also recorded a few video samples i have taken on my Sony Cybershot digital camera onto a Sony dvd-r disc.

Am i doing something wrong in the recording process ? i have recorded all the above in SP 120min mode, is this why i am having the compatability issues so should i be recording in XP mode ??

Can you also suggest the best media to use

Thank you for reading this and for hopefully responding with an answer to my questions

Shaun

2. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    DVD-R discs need to be finalised before they will play on DVD players or other equipment.

Go into "Functions" and find the "Finalise" utility.

3. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    It should be listed under "Disc Management" in your Panasonic. Mine is but it isn't the ES10 model.

4. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Hi mate

I have done what you said and it now works on my other player, thanks for taking the time to reply and sorting it out for me

:clap: thanks mate :clap:

5. jameshg

jameshg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you are so fortunate - my Toshiba DVD died and was replaced with a Sony DVD before i had the opportunity to finalize twenty or so discs and it seems nothing can be done to access the content

i have posted this as a problem and i still have hopes of a solution

James

6. volvofl10

volvofl10
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i dont know for sure , but you may be able to use nero on a pc to finalise the discs ,

7. Kalos Geros

Kalos Geros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I wasn't able to spot the finalise option in latest Nero versions...old ones had a direct finalise option...

BTW Pioneer 380 and 565 are supposed to be able to read unfinalised DVD-RW (VR mode recordings too) but DVD-R is obviously a different kind of animal...

8. scottyf

scottyf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30

have you tried putting the disc in a few other recorders i done this with a recording i made with a cheapy recorder from asda when i took the machine back i forgot to finalise the disc.when i put it into my next machine it informed me that the disc was recorded on different machine and press ok to convert to play on new machine.when i pressed this the recorder then changed the menus into its own format and it would then play ok.also im sure i read in one of my recorder books that some non finalised discs cannot be played on this machine and that somewhere in the menus there was a finalize disc option that would be available if the unit could finalize that recording from another machine to allow you to then play it(sorry cant remember which recorder it was but it was one of the cheapys from asda about 1-2 years ago)your best option is to take a disc to as many peoples houses as you can and try it out,or find a nice store to let you try it on there machines.or even better buy a cheap machine from asda if it works finalize your discs & then take it back(there ok on returns)

9. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    You need another Toshiba dvd recorder to do this. Perhaps a local dealer who stocks them would finalise them for you for a small fee. Or even let you do so in his shop. Probably take a couple of hours to finalise 20.