Comparisons between Philips, Sharp & Panny sets - Opinions?

Discussion in 'Philips TVs Forum' started by KHAFC, Dec 28, 2006.

Tags:
  1. KHAFC

KHAFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chaps (and chapsesses of course!)

After around 6 months of assessing the LCD market and looking on this forum (which is wicked!) I have narrowed down my search for a new tv to 4 models and would welcome people's opinions on them, from what they've heard or if they've lived with them after buying them.

The shortlist is:

PHILIPS 32PF9731D
    PHILIPS 37PF9731D/10
    SHARP 37XD1E
    PANASONIC 32LXD60

I've reluctantly opted out of the 40" bracket as it will just be too big, although it pains me as they look superb in the shop. I'll be mostly watching SD for a month then SKY HD through the TV's and dvd's. No gaming really so am not too bothered about that.

Budget is between £1,000-£1,500 so the Philips 37" is a bit out of that so will need some convincing, and with the outer rim of the tv being quite large, it may be the same size width as some 40" tv's.

Thoughts and opinions much appreciated. I know that they are only that, just someone's opinions but if they have experienced the set already then it always helps. I have ruled out the Sony's, although could well be tempted back in!!!

Many thanks!:thumbsup:

2. blackthorn26

blackthorn26
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The 32lxd60 is an excellent set with nice deep blacks but your budget will get you the 32lxd600 which has that extra notch of quality. Panasonic do make excellent LCD's so checkout the reviews and go and have a look.

3. cozzie121

cozzie121
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have you had a look at the Panasonic TX-32LXD600, itas a worthy contender, i have been loking at exactly the same tv, thinking about pushing my budget toward the panny 600 or sony 32v2000.

the panansonic is future proof with the 1080p, sony is very nice but only has 1 hdmi, sorry to throw a spanner in there!

4. Woodywizz

Woodywizz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,120
    Go for the Panasonic TX32LXD600 - I have the 500 which is virtually identical, save for an extra HDMI slot on the 600. The 500 has been a joy to watch, both with SD and HD broadcasts - and the 600 has deeper blacks than the 500 and a wider viewing angle. At this price, it cannot be beaten.

5. Mark Spanner

Mark Spanner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Sorry to be picky - the Panasonic 600 has a native resolution of 1,366 × 768 and therefore only does 720p/1080i with one exception - the PC/VGA will accept 1080p/60Hz. It will then downscale to 720p/1080i still great if you have a PC/laptop or Xbox 360 with the VGA cable. Not trying to negative but it isn't a true 1080p set.

The TV looks great from what I have seen & I'm very close to getting one myself. :thumbsup:

6. KHAFC

KHAFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So if it's not true 1080p is it not worth getting?

Because the Sharp is I was swaying towards that one and it's 37" which is a bonus. The Panny got beat (only just) by the Philips 32" in the What Hi-Fi Sound and Vision review so that's why I'm uncertain between all 3!

Argghh!!! :suicide:

I may just get a 12" bw and a betamax recorder and be done with it!

Opinions and experiences much appreciated on this though! Am determined to be sway one way or anohter in the next 2 days to bring in the new year with a new TV!

7. KHAFC

KHAFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sharp 37" tv is down to £999. VERY tempting! What are the new Sharp's being announced on the 7th though? Anyone know?

Not sure whether to go for 37" Sharp at a cheaper price than the Panny AND Phillips 32". Does size really matter over quality?!

8. bliss007

bliss007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is thread on them and they will be highly priced as they have a internal HDD, which is of no use to me with my Cable TV DRIVE, I wont be watching freeview or recording on it, and at end of the day you only get HD in UK for now with SkyHD or Cable TV Drive.

Then when they arrive you may want to wait on next gen and you will aways be waiting, if you get a 37" you will prob not get any banding and its pefect nearly apart from the needed HDMI to get 1080p which can be gotten around from PC by using DVI to HDMI but for consoles no fix yet.

To me the screen thats a real 1920x1080i never mind fact it can do P is better than the others for this great price, movies aint going to go downward in res they will only use 1080i/p more and more in future.

9. Woodywizz

Woodywizz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,120
    NO, definitely not - always go for the screen that has the better PQ, not the screen with the larger dimensions. Having said that, if you can get excellent PQ on a large screen then go for that. I cannot comment on the Sharp as I have never seen it - even though it is 1080p, I would still see how it handles with SD material; as that will still be a mainstay of your tv viewing for a good few years to come.

10. bliss007

bliss007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many peeps here says the SD is great on the Sharp, there is only a few threads and one answers this with me quoting their posts.
    To buy a 1366x768 panel IMO is waste of time today unless you really dont care about HD in short term future, I have Cable TV Drive so least I can watch HD fully.

11. moob

moob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I have to say, even though it's probably not the best place for comparison, but at my local Tesco Extra, they run BBC HD Preview through their sets, and despite the picture being split, and perhaps the sets not all being set up to perfection (where are they ever?) the Philips sets blow everything else away.

They exhibit tremendous PQ and depth in abundance - the clarity and definition on images in out of this world.

I can't understand why these sets aren't as popular as their counterparts - perhaps some merely buy by brand name.