Comparison Toshiba SD200E & Sony DVP735S

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Radioactive__Man, Jan 19, 2001.

1. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I plan to hook up one of these players to my 46" Toshiba RPTV [using Progressive scan inputs].

From a maximum compatibility point of view I am keen on the Toshiba, but I'd hate to think I was missing out on better audio or video quality for the sake of £60 or so.

Can anyone give me an informed opinion of the two models, preferably from someone who has tried out both players.

2. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm not sure what you actually mean by this? The Sony gives a gorgeous picture on Component output. It would help if you clarifed compatibility... TV? DVD Discs etc?

3. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    I don't think either of these players have progressive scan output.
    Paul

4. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    By maximum compatibility I merely mean same manufacture [hopefully I can control both TV & DVD from same remote etc]. I bought the SD200E from Richer Sounds last week [price matching brought the price to £280 modded !], but I'm now thinking, if the Sony is better in any significant way, I could exchange it for the Sony within 14 days.

5. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you actually after just component input or Progressive Scan as these are not Prog Scan. Also I thought the Toshiba had issues playing RCE titles? Both will give an excellent Component picture though with the Tosh having the edge with its Anti-Alias Filter.

------------------
    Webmaster,
    http://www.bulletsnbabesdvds.com

6. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Damn, I've misred the specs/manuals, thought I was buying a progressive scan player [now even more reason to return !] what progressive scan players are you aware of ?, only one I can see is the Pioneer 737 [saw it hooked up to a mates 40" Toshiba RPTV, and the picture was stunning!]

Time is at a premium now, I'll have to source one before next Friday, thanks for that info BTW

7. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally I'f go for the Pioneer 737 at this stage.

------------------
    Webmaster,
    http://www.bulletsnbabesdvds.com

8. Napoleon

Napoleon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    To get the benefits of progressive scan,both dvd and television must be p.s capable.The Toshiba 40WHO8B has a component input,but it is not a progressive scan tv.It is my understanding that a p.s component input,and a component input are not the same thing.If someone knows otherwise i will gladly stand corrected.
    Happy hunting.

9. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You are right, Napoleon. To make use of progressive scan the DVD player must support it (ie Pioneer 737) as must the TV (requires logically a "PS component" input).
    Note that most DVD player output a PS signal only for NTSC discs!

[This message has been edited by Reiner (edited 22-01-2001).]

10. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I now realise I have mis-interpreted the term progressive scan, neither the Sony nor the Toshiba support it, and I see no reason on spending £550 on the Pioneer 737 [I know it does other things well], so I am gonna stick with the Toshiba SD200E, and go nuts on an AX1 or AX2 Yamaha amp.

note :- I know I went off the track a bit, but only one person has given me an opinion on whether the Sony is a better player, any other takers ??