1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comparison Old vs New

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by M!keyBoy, Apr 15, 2005.

1. M!keyBoy

M!keyBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello All,

After reading the board for some months now I thought I'd be polite and say 'hello'. This is my first post. :hiya:

And to start with a question as I'm looking to purchase a surround amp and some surround speakers. I have about £800 to spend at a real push. I was saving for a plasma but have decided to wait for more HD models to appear on the market. So I thought I'd buy a sound system first.

So onto my question ...

Many years ago I used to listen to my Dads stereo. Unfortunately I can't remember exactly what model it was but I know that it was a two channel Technices amp and the speakers were Missions 760i SE. This (due to the fact that I had never heard a 'proper' system before) sounded brilliant and very loud.

What I was wondering is that many people in the forums say that multichannel amps and 5.1 speakers don't sound as good as stereo set-ups - which makes sense. But if I were to spend £800 on a multichannel set-up will it not sound as good in stereo as my Dads system did 10 years ago? Because if it would and was great in multichannel too I would be very happy.

I was looking at getting either the Denon AVR-1905 or the AVR-2105. Then for the speakers I was interested in the Diamond 9 5.1 surround that the hi-fi magazines give good reviews too. Would this be a good set-up for music as well as films? Would it be as loud as the 'old' set-up?

Cheers,

M!ke

2. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi M!k and welcome to the forum.

I am assuming that "loud" is a requirement. The most important consideration would the speaker efficiency. This is measured as the speaker sensitivity as dB/W. And the next second consideration is the amp output power.

Typically, you require double the power to increase the “loudness” by 3dB. Thus comparing 2 speakers (one rated at 90dB/W and the other at 84dB/W), the second speaker would require an amp of 4 X the power to produce the same sound intensity.

Speakers too, have the biggest sonic “signature” on the sound, so this is probably where you should start looking.

A similarly priced AV amp doesn’t have the stereo ability of a dedicated stereo amp.
    This does not imply that the AV amps are “bad” at stereo, but on how good some stereo amps are.

Having said that, you have chosen 2 great AV amps (at their price point), but they wouldn’t be my first (or second) choice for a musical AV amp. I would be more inclined to look at the Yamaha or Marantz. Or better still Melter found this
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204453

The fact that you are looking for only a 5.1 system, allows the possibly of looking for something second-hand. Allowing you to get better quality amplification at the expense of some of the “latest” bells and whistles.

[thought and rambling mode on]
    I would also be tempted to initially run without a sub, use most of my remaining budget on the front & centre speakers, and use whatever speakers are available for the rears.
    [thought and rambling mode off]

3. lee789

lee789

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Also consider room size, the bigger the room the more volume to be filled with sound.

I've had a couple of AV amps with floor and bookshelf speakers and they've all had plenty of oomph in a room about 14ft square.

My preference though is not to turn it up to 11.

The best piece of advice is to try and get a listen to a few things.

4. M!keyBoy

M!keyBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey thanks guys, that has really given me something to think about. And hopefully by finding out what model amp my Dad has and finding the Watts per channel, and finding out the sensitivity of the missions I should be able to work out if the new system will be as 'loud'. :rolleyes:

Right I have a bit of research to do - Thanks very much again!

5. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    If your budget is £800 for a surround system I strongly advise you to go the second hand route. People with an interest in this area tend to take good care of their equipment and you will at least double your buying power this way which I'm confident will result in a much more pleasing end result.

The classifieds part of this forum is a good place to start.