1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comparison of Panasonic PT-AE100 and Epson EMP-TW10H

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by LouisB, Dec 15, 2004.

1. LouisB

LouisB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

A friend of mine has a Panasonic PT-AE100 for sale, this model was a ground breaking projector (for £1500) when it came out but is now a couple of years out of date. The price of this projector now second-hand is comparable to buying a new Epson EMP-TW10H projector. The Epson is a entry level projector but is a current model and things have probably moved on somewhat since the AE100 came out.

The Epson has a couple of plus points in its favour, cheap lamps at £100 or so each, theatre black mode, RGB input, slightly higher lumens and contrast. The Panasonic works out slightly cheaper and was probably a better quality machine due to it's new price difference.

The question is, overall which is the better machine now, given the similarity of price,

Has anyone had any experience with these and could offer some advice on which would make a better first purchase?

I am a projector newbie and as such am not requiring or expecting high end performance, just something watchable for films (dvds). I intend to use this on a DIY screen (Ice storm 5/6 50/50 mix) and my existing LG3350 DVD player for the short term, and upgrading the DVD player to one with progressive scan at some point (such as Pioneer 470 or 575) in the near future.

any help or advice would be greatly appreciated,

thanks,

Louis

2. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    What price is the AE100 second-hand? IIRC the Epson is about £500. That would seem very expensive for a second-hand AE100. Only drawback of the Epson is 4:3 otherwise it's no contest IMO...go for the Epson

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Agree completely, the Epson is the choice to make, even allowing for the 4:3 A/R, the picture quality will be massively better than the AE100.

4. LouisB

LouisB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the speedy replies,

Suggested price for AE100 is around £400 but negotiable, EMP-TW10H is around £500 or so new.

Just one question, the TW10H appears to be 854x480 pixels native, so it's a 16:9 widescreen that can do 4:3 as well? Thats what the specs seem to say anyway,

This is correct isn't it? just want to make sure we are talking about the same thing,

thanks,

Louis

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You're right, it is 16:9, I didn't bother checking since even it it were 4:3 it would still be a better buy. :)

And yes, it will have a 4:3 operating mode to cater for FS video.

6. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The epson is a native widescreen projector.
    Please remember that projectors are mechanical and are like buying second hand cars. They wear out, at least the bulbs do and you will eventually get wear and tear on the panels with heat problems etc.
    Go for the new epson any time. I'm sure the AE100 fetches around 300 notes these days.
    Azzo

7. stripe

stripe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    I go for the Epson even if the Panasonic was as good as it, purely for the warranty. 3 years IIRC.

8. MikeRJ

MikeRJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Another recommendation for the Epson, very happy with mine.

9. lee789

lee789

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I can't recomend the Epson highly enough.

I wanted to get into the projector scene and thought I'd need to spend over 1,000 to get a reasonable picture, the panasonic 500 or 700 I was looking at.

But I stumbled on a thread here, and everyone spoke highly of it, found it for 500 with a 5ft screen and I'm blown away. It was way above my expectations.

Yes, you can see the imperfections, chicken wire etc if you really look for it, but I certainly don't.

And a 5ft screen, equates to about a 72inch diagonal screen which you simply can't get in the plasma world. At this size the projector is well capable, and probably up to a 6ft but I wouldn't go much bigger.

A massive winner for me, plus it was (maybe still is) in the homecinema choice top five under 4k. :thumbsup:

10. LouisB

LouisB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Thanks ever so much for all the advice, I ordered the Epson last night, hopefully all being well then I should receive it tomorrow :)

I can't wait, just in time for Christmas, just need to finish the screen now, a job for the weekend I think...

I'll probably post my findings here once I have it set up, to let you know my thoughts, hopefully I will be similarly 'blown away' by it!

thanks again, cheers,

Louis

11. LouisB

LouisB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I received the new TW10h last Friday and spent the weekend using it.

What can I say, I'm really pleased with the results. It was set up and running out of the box within 5 minutes with a picture that we were happy to watch all night long. Slight tweeking the next day revealed even better results.

Initially I ran it over a 15m S-Video cable and the results were pretty damn good.

Then I changed to RGB and the results were even better, especially the colours were more vibrant and the picture appeared sharper.

The results even from regular TV via the Sky box and RGB output is also very good.

I'm projecting onto a flat board, painted with Dulux ice storm 5 / 6 in a 50/50 mix and this works really well. I find that under almost all circumstances the picture is fine in the Theatre Black mode, maybe a brighter mode is needed on a sunny day or with all the lights on but I don’t watch many films in those circumstances anyway!

The only thing I am lacking is a progressive scan component input but I don't feel that upgrading to this is too urgent, given that the results are as good as they are anyway.

I have no complaints and would highly recommend this highly to anyone interested in an entry level projector!

cheers,

Louis

12. beng

beng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, isn't it great when a thread that you're interested in appears exactly at the right time?

I've been looking to get into a projector for a while and now the time has actually come to part with some cash. Like you, I simply want something for DVD playback and maybe a bit of sport. This site is wonderful, full of information and helpful people just waiting to dish out advice but it's a double edged sword - I've been second guessing myself for ages! Anyway, the missus and I went to Costco in Watford two weeks ago to pick up some supplies for her business. Whilst there, they had the toshiba ET1 on display. Baring in mind the store conditions I was pretty impressed with what I saw. So whilst I'd love to dish out x amount on a new Hs50 right at the deep end, I think I might be able to get away with starting out slowly :thumbsup:

In that respect, both the Toshiba and the Epson come in at around five hundred pounds. I suspect there might be a deal or two to be had in the new year online sales as well :D My room is 21ft long by 14ft wide so I've got some set up issues to consider, however most likely I would not want to permanently mount it. Just how good are these two projectors for the money?

13. LouisB

LouisB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I posted this on another thread, but at the risk of repeating myself...

--

Having recently bought one (a TW10H), I find it hard to imagine that you would be even slightly dissapointed with the TW10H, especially for the price,

No rainbows obviously,
    RGB input! for added flexibility (sky box, games console...) as well as all the other usual inputs (component, VGA, Composite, S-Video)
    Native widescreen
    Theatre black mode
    Quiet
    Easy to set up
    Cheap lamps!

what else can I say, what are you waiting for?

cheers,

Louis

14. beng

beng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Louis,

How is the epson out of the box? (and if it's not too cheeky) Can I ask where you bought it and how much it cost?

Can you just whack in an rgb scart cable from a digibox or games console and off you go?

15. LouisB

LouisB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Out of the box it takes about 1 minute to get it hooked up to a sky box / dvd player and games console (if they all output RGB)...

It comes with an adaptor lead that on one end is a regular scart socket and on the other is 4 phono's. 3 for the RGB and one for sync (which you connect into the composite input on the projecor).

So, if you have RGB scart output and a scart to scart lead then you can hook it up in no time at all, it couldn't be simpler.

For higher quality I have broken out into the 4 wires at the source end rather than the projector end (using the supplied adaptor lead) and run the 4 leads 10 meters to the projector, but that was a personal choice - you dont have to do it that way... a long scart to scart will be fine.

cheers,

Louis

16. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,821
    I have had a second hand AE100 for a few months and I am very happy with it. I don't have many other projector to compare with it but I like what I get from it. I am looking forward to trying out my PC on it over the next week or so.

I have seen a £4000 Mitsubishi DLP projector running in a shop and it looked a lot worse than the AE100.

I have also been looking at them on AE100 and they can go as high as over £500 when sold with a ceiling mount/screen.

I don't have the money for anything like a AE700. If I did have the money, I would probably go for the new Sony HS50 as that look very nice.

17. LouisB

LouisB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again,

I've clocked up quite a few hours on the Epson now and have no complaints. I would definitely recommend one for the price.

The replacement lamp price alone for the AE100 is enough to put me off,

Anyway I realised that I didn't answer your question, I got the TW10h from http://www.technoworld.com/ because they were one of the few places with it in stock for a sensible price. Got it next day delivery, I can recommend them as a supplier.

Ebuyer also do it for the same price, they were out of stock but may well have it in again.

Don't forget, the new Epson comes with a 3 year warrantee too, and the AE100's are known to blow up from time to time (search around on the internet to find evidence of this).

I hope that helps,

Louis

18. noel-pilot

noel-pilot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    FAO Lee,

Where did you manage to get the TW10H for 500 inc screen??!!

Thanks!! I too will be purchasing the Epson within the next few weeks, aiming for a demo around watford/london way first then be ordering!!

19. Ripco

Ripco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I too am looking to buy this projector in the upcoming month and I presume the person Lee who mentioned getting the projector with a screen was the summer deal last year with the screen and Fridge but as far as I remember that was around £999. However if Im wrong and you can still get it with a screen for around the £600 mark I would also be very grateful to find out.

So far I have found a website using a wellknown product search page and they have quoted the price of £573.40 and Im trying to find out if this includes the 3 years manufacturer warranty that other more expensive companies are stating.

Thanks for any help given.

Ripco. :thumbsup:

20. Craig Armstrong

Craig Armstrong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The answer's in the question - its a manufacturer's warranty so, unless some dodgy non-EU import, the manufacturer should not renage on the warranty. :thumbsup:

21. Ripco

Ripco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ta Craig, I just found it strange that some companys were noting the 3 years warranty and the others were not and it was the dearer companies that happened to state it, as if this warranty was a reflection on the price.

Ripco.

22. lee789

lee789

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155978&highlight=FLATTELLY

http://www.flattelly.com/ This was the website.

The above is the thread where I picked up the 499 price for the projector. It was the vanilla tw-10 (without a H). But the only differnece is the lumens, wich don't impact me anyway as I have blackouts.

Plus the package was a sony amp (selling in richers for 139 today which I sold for 80) and some eltax speakers which were msp of 199, which i still have. Plus a 5ft screen on a tripod , which is ideal for the projector.

In all a bargain which was recomended through the link above.

All in all I wanted the projector. I (and a few more, got aq good deal), but the projector at 5-600 , I believe is an absolute bargain. I cannot recommend it highly enough. Search on the web and bargains can be found........

23. lee789

lee789

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yes the 3 yr warranty still stands.

How about that as well.... :smashin:

24. dinoprada2003

dinoprada2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    Does the Epsom have VGA and or DVI inputs?

25. lee789

lee789

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  26. Scotty

Scotty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The spec sheet reads

"Video: Mini D-sub 15pin x1 Blue-molding"

Sounds like a VGA connector

27. dinoprada2003

dinoprada2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    Thats what I was thinking!?

28. PjPip

PjPip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    It is! Trust me I've used it with a laptop. For what it's worth, the excellent choice of connectivity was one of the selling points for me.