Comparison of CPUs

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Astaroth, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    Sorry if this is a bit :offtopic: :oops:

I have been out of the loop on PCs for a couple of years and now feel it is time to replace my old home PC/server (Dual PIII 733, 1GB ram etc) with something a little smaller/user friendly (aka a laptop)

Looking at Dell at the moment due to getting good discounts and the option of getting as part of our flexible benefits but I am confused over the options over CPUs.

Dell currently do laptops based on the Mobile Pentium 4 chipsets or the Pentium M chipsets. The P4 has a higher clock speed but the M chips have much higher FSB speeds. On Dells comparison chart they rate the CPU performance as equal when comparing (approximately) M 2GHz 533 FSB to a P4 3.2GHz but putting it simply I dont trust their over simplified system of comparison.

In real world terms which are going to be better/ faster? What other considerations are there when deciding between the 2 chips?

2. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Those comparisons are pretty much right, however i would always have M as battery life will be batter and they also produce less heat.

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agree. Always go for an "M" - mobile chip in a laptop.

:smoke:

4. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    What are you wanting to use the pc for?